EMERGENCY!!!!

Are you offering food such as cooked egg(boiled or scrambled), maybe a starter mash, yogurt, or applesauce. Anything that is a treat that she will be more likely to eat that will give her some energy to combat the wound. Very sorry this happened to you. That dog needs to be taken care of in some kind of way so this doesn't happen again.

It was unusual for Cookie our dog to go after a chicken, but, I was trying to catch Saffron ( bedtime)and I had a bad hold on her and she was flapping her wings, trying to escape me, when suddenly he grabbed for her, he was being a dog, normally he totally ignores the chickens but, the heat of the moment probably excited his instinct.
Saffron isn't eating or drinking, I am trying to give her water with a syringe, I will try egss and applesauce in the morning, I think I have stressed her enough tonight with treating the wound, and trying to give her water. I am just dropping water onto her beak, sometimes she swallows, mostly she doesn't, I am wondering if the pain is keeping her from trying to swallow much. I have aspirin in the water, should I continue to encourage her to drink? Or should I let her be?

Your little buddy must have been protecting you. Imagine what it must look like to our dogs when we grab a chicken and they flap away like that? BTW, what type of asprin? our kind or baby asprin? I like to write these things down so if anyone knows
smile.png
thanks

I would add some avian electrolytes to her water. Diluted pedialyte or even gatorade will do in a pinch. Get some Poly-Vi-Sol pediatric vitamins without iron...one drop three time a days for 7 days them taper. It's amazing how much the electrolytes and vitamins do to stimulate their appetite and help them over the shocky part of an injury. Keep her in a dark place...I'll bet she'll do just fine.!

agree with "oldtimegator"...electrolytes is needed to treat shock and stress, which can be more of a killer then an injury..
also the vitamins..

keep the wound clean..you can use diluted betadine.
she might need a systemic antibiotic..but see how she does..
hope she'll be ok..

lurky...only use plain aspirin..(that is..no substitutes such as Tylenol, etc)..

Ok being new to the chicken family,I have to ask a really dumb question. When you say disolve asprin in water , do you then use a dropper to put down her throat because wouldn't that be the only way to make sure she got it all?
I had a chick attacked by a cat so I know how your feeling. She made it, and grew to be one of the funniest and spunkiest hens you ever saw. I will keep checking back. Good luck!

I would sprinkle like 1/8 teaspoon of Terramycin antibiotic and 1/4 of a baby aspirin into 1/2 teaspoon of moist cat food and try that.

A lot of people use cat food to get their chickens to take meds.

Good Luck!
~Rebecca

mrs.67 :

Ok being new to the chicken family,I have to ask a really dumb question. When you say disolve asprin in water , do you then use a dropper to put down her throat because wouldn't that be the only way to make sure she got it all?
I had a chick attacked by a cat so I know how your feeling. She made it, and grew to be one of the funniest and spunkiest hens you ever saw. I will keep checking back. Good luck!

Just dissolve it in her drinking water.​

Hey all, Saffron is doing much better today. She ate applesauce ( fed by syringe, she wouldn't eat it in a dish) last night and this morning, plus I have been able to hand feed her water ( with aspirin ) by syringe. She looks much perkier than she has, I was kind of worried about her, but, she looks like she is going to pull thru this.
I have been cleaning the wound with betadine solution, the wound itself looks good for how ugly it is. She is moving her neck more now, and I am not going to close it, I am going to let it heal by secondary intention. I also tried Nolvasan salve, and Betadine ointment, neither of those stuck in place very long, so I figured the Betadine would clean everything anyway.
Didn't feed her any electrolytes yet, I don't think I am going to need to.
For those who asked, after this happened, I dissolved one baby aspirin in a couple of cups of water, and dripped the medicated water on her beak and she swallowed some of it ( probably not nearly enough for pain control).
Since I work in surgery, I have seen some ugly wounds come in, but, when it happens to one of your own, man, that really bites.
Saffron is our most unfriendly chicken ( Buff Orpington too...), hopefully, this one to one attention she is getting will work in a positive direction as far as our relationship goes.
Thank you all for your support and help!!! I appreciate all of it very much!

Back
Top Bottom