emu chick help

matt swenson

Songster
Feb 1, 2019
Cape Cod
so two of my sketchy eggs actually hatched, which is cool. now some questions, as i got my other chicks 2 weeks old. question one, how soon before they are on there feet? did you guys brace their legs? question two.. how long before chicks take a drink. book says two days? same question how long till chicks take food? first chick is 2 days old second 1 day (as of 5 o clock onthe 12 of march) other birds ive hatched have eaten and drank with out any help. currently have a dish of water with some greens floating in it (book advice)

They really make you sweat it out before they eat and drink, lol. I think mine all went 3 or 4 days. I found the best thing to encourage them was actually collard greens. They were all more interested in picking at them than at feed at first, and some floating in the water encouraged them to drink.

I didn't brace their legs. I just made sure they had a very grippy brooder floor surface - indoor/outdoor carpet.

thanks .. should have just asked you first. the older one is now walking fine, a little wobble , but the younger (by a day) hips seem a bit more rubbery, if he doest get them together in a day or so i might try some bracing.
still no drinking, but the floating greens disappear, so some light eating. going risk the virus and get some kale today. frist off to the grain store to get two mounth worth of grain for all my birds. not just because of the virus but ive been lazy and stocks are low.
unrelated....you get any eggs from your emus? 2nd year of eggs for me. over 30 but my male male refuses to mate.

quick update, both chicks are doing great and a welcome distraction. ill try to put up some photo at some point. it took forever, like 5 days to actctually see them drink. feed them kale dipped in water, not sure if that just helped or hindered their progress.
the other 4 eggs didnt hatch, left them another week and nothing. my son and I crack them open, with a bb gun to keep away incase they burst, three of the four were total duds with no development. surprisingly, the forth a smooth "blue" egg that was 25% smaller than the rest had a chick in it. i estimate it died a week before the 50 day do date. no idea why. nasty task but i examined the dead chick and no deformaties or obvious external signs. on the bright side i rather a chick dies in the egg then watching a weak chick die.
thanks again for the advie pxryis. stay healty and safe everyone

... Reading about emus makes me want to raise some, but I don't think that that would fly (bad pun, sorry). And I don't think that we have the space, either -- I mean, there's barely enough space for baby chickens in the house, how in the world would we fit baby emus? They're cute, though -- maybe someday.
Stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom