Emu Egg Hatch Countdown

could you tell me, in-a-nutshell, (or in an emu shell...lol!) the basics of hatching an emu egg? Humidity, temp and duration? also, if i hatched a couple (or 3) do you think i could easily sell them? and what do they go for? i would love to keep one, but i can't, but i would LOVE to hatch a couple! oh, also, how much do hatching eggs cost?

Last edited:
Quote:
I can tell you what I am doing. This is our first attempt at hatching emu so I hope it is right.

I built a large cabinet style incubator. I try to keep my humidity between 30-35% and temp at 97f. We then ordered the eggs from a member of BYC. I paid $10 a piece plus $20 to ship all three. When the eggs arieved we let them rest overnight. The next day I wired them to my LG turner using chicken wire and put the turner in the incubator. Today is day 41 so we will see what happens in another week or two. I've seen several differant lengths of incubation posted anywhere from 48-56 days. So my plan is to pull the turner, fill the water reserve and add the webcam on day 44.

I will not be able to keep them either. I live in suburban housing track.

sorry for thread hyjacking

Last edited:
Being a fellow hatchaholic.....I also would love to hatch emu eggs. I can keep them here as I have 8 + acres. BUT....I have visions of a 100 lb bird running 40 mph after me & my kids.
gig.gif

My kids are begging....I don't think they have a clue. I don't have a clue!

How friendly can they really be? I would assume plenty of time must be put into taming them. I think I need to do more research. Anyone with thoughts.......

I am patiently waiting for news on GFFs hatch....
pop.gif

eta... off to the Emu thread.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can tell you what I am doing. This is our first attempt at hatching emu so I hope it is right.

I built a large cabinet style incubator. I try to keep my humidity between 30-35% and temp at 97f. We then ordered the eggs from a member of BYC. I paid $10 a piece plus $20 to ship all three. When the eggs arieved we let them rest overnight. The next day I wired them to my LG turner using chicken wire and put the turner in the incubator. Today is day 41 so we will see what happens in another week or two. I've seen several differant lengths of incubation posted anywhere from 48-56 days. So my plan is to pull the turner, fill the water reserve and add the webcam on day 44.

I will not be able to keep them either. I live in suburban housing track.

sorry for thread hyjacking

You are not hijacking.
smile.png

We are using a styrofoam little giant incubator with solidstate thermostat and a fan. We hand turn ours at least 3 times a day - sometimes more. They take about 50-56 days to hatch, depending on who you ask, at 97 degrees. We keep our humidity between 30-40%. It should be raised to about 50-60% a few days before the hatch. I actually got these off of ebay for about $10 each plus $20 shipping, so that is about in line what somebody else said about cost. I know there is a lady in Hampstead, NC that is selling chicks for $75 each. I don't know what you could get for them in your area, but that's a starting point.

GFFs are you going to be keeping these babies or do you plan tp sell them?

I am just curious....
hide.gif

Are these your first?

I am trying to talk myself out of this....
he.gif

OOO that was not a hint.

My kids think "they are cool" and we should hatch some. They are mini-hatch-a-holics.
They hate an empty incubator as much as I do.
big_smile.png

I think they are "cool" too. But......

Well, darn. About 2 days ago, one of the eggs slipped in my hand and I almost dropped it. I noticed that it feel "sloshy" inside. This far in incubation, it should not feel that way. So, I just plugged the plug on them. This morning, I took them out and cracked them open to be sure and this is what they looked like:

Egg 1:
6809_dscn3453.jpg

Egg 2:
6809_dscn3454.jpg

They are thoroughly scrambled on the inside. Gross.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom