Emu has runny yellowish poop and is closing eyes alot.

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
My emu Blu has runny poop and is was laying down with his eyes closed. The sun is going down so I'm not sure if he was just trying to sleep or if something is wrong. He is walking around a little now but is still closing his eyes some. He's slowly panting a bit. I may be freaked out for no reason but I want to make sure. He's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him. We have no emu vet near here.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1024505608.jpg
    Snapchat-1024505608.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 76
  • Snapchat-205917019.jpg
    Snapchat-205917019.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-2069087455.jpg
    Snapchat-2069087455.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-327912566.jpg
    Snapchat-327912566.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 9
Those are all of the symptoms that my turkey had before she died of blackheads disease. I’m not sure If emus can get blackheads, but just thought I’d put that out there

Ok now that I read it is very possible he has blackheads disease. Any other birds sick? Do you have turkeys?

Ok now that I read it is very possible he has blackheads disease. Any other birds sick? Do you have turkeys?
Had turkeys years ago that had fowl pox but not anymore. No other birds are sick. He was perfectly fine yesterday but last night was acting off. I thought maybe he just ate to much yesterday but now he has a bit of blood in his puke/poop. He has vomited or pooped at least 5 more times since last night and it's watery with a little bit of blood in 2 of the piles. He is opening his eyes more today but still laying around. He seems a bit unsteady when he stands up to walk.

Had turkeys years ago that had fowl pox but not anymore. No other birds are sick. He was perfectly fine yesterday but last night was acting off. I thought maybe he just ate to much yesterday but now he has a bit of blood in his puke/poop. He has vomited or pooped at least 5 more times since last night and it's watery with a little bit of blood in 2 of the piles. He is opening his eyes more today but still laying around. He seems a bit unsteady when he stands up to walk.
He has every symptom of blackheads that I saw in my turkey and my flock. I’m so sorry. I hope you find help. Please update as he gets better or worse ❤️

'My emu Blu has runny poop and is was laying down with his eyes closed. He's slowly panting a bit.'

Tame-wild emu guy here:

Runny poop? Runny poop is quite normal -- but not the color in the photo!

Emus only start panting when it hits about 100 degrees. Never seen an emu pant otherwise.

Happy full-of-food emus will sit for long periods. In the spring, they'll even roll on their sides to sun their bellies. However, an emu sitting otherwise is cause for great concern.

How on earth do you tell the difference?! If they have all fed, and are all standing quietly or sitting, that's okay. But if, for example, a clutch was feeding -- some number of chicks with their Dad -- and one chick was sitting, that's bad.

If the bird is sitting and is unconcerned about its environs -- like noise or people being close -- that's bad.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia

Today I saw that my emu has similar poop, is very sleepy: closing eyes while standing along with frequently sitting and closing eyes. Also, face appears to be swollen on one side. He is letting me near him and allowing me to pet him which is very unusual for this fella.

There has been a solitary wild female turkey that has been going through my yard recently. It cannot get into the emu enclosure, but has been seen walking near the fence.

Please let me know if you confirmed blackhead disease in your poor emu.

Thank you.

My emu Blu has runny poop and is was laying down with his eyes closed. The sun is going down so I'm not sure if he was just trying to sleep or if something is wrong. He is walking around a little now but is still closing his eyes some. He's slowly panting a bit. I may be freaked out for no reason but I want to make sure. He's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him. We have no emu vet near here.
Was it coccidiosis? We just lost 3 Emus because of that and the last one is hanging in there.

Was it coccidiosis? We just lost 3 Emus because of that and the last one is hanging in there.
Here you go:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis-in-poultry/coccidiosis-in-poultry#:~:text=Coccidiosis is a protozoal disease,combination with characteristic necropsy findings.

"Coccidiosis is a protozoal disease causing diarrhea, ,weight loss and decreased production in poultry. It can be fatal. Prevention is key and is achieved with use of anticoccidials or vaccination. Diagnosis is by fecal flotation to detect oocysts, often in combination with characteristic necropsy findings."

Usually treated with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom