Help not sure what to do!

5kfarms233

Chirping
Nov 8, 2022
My big girl has been acting a little strange these past few days, she been walking weird in a way that there are no real signs but you look at her and you can just tell something is up. She has also been tripping a lot(see video ). But today i think i found out why. I go down at around 3 to check on them and get chicken eggs. When i see her on the ground between the two 10 gallon feed drums, think this is strange i go to check on her, and she gets up and qucilky goes away from me. But i notice her mouth is wide open and she acting really strange. So i follow her and then i notice a big patch of red skin and no feathers. Now i really know somthing is going on, then all of a sudden my male emu runs straight at her and she start to run and they run right into the corner of the pen shes jump up agaisnt it and trying to get away from him; who at the moment is slamming her into the fence and trying to bite her(not sure if thats what he was doing but it sure looked like it). I clue in to whats happing and been happing. So then long story short i get the male into a his barn and leave the girl out in the pen. SHe still in flight mode so i cant really get close to her to check out her wounds, but its probably from him running her into the fence and the fence geting caught on her skin and dragging. I also notice she has watery poo not soft, almost like water so not sure what thats about(maybe he's been keeping her from the food?).

So im not really sure whats chapping or what to do, so im asking for help.

20230712_165429.jpg

Update:
Let her calm down for a bit. Came down later to deal with the wounds and noticed a few thing that might help figure out whats going on.
- wound on the area around her air sack
- wounds on her neck
- depperesed nature when she final calmed down and allowed me to take a look at her while feed blueberry's(important for another reason) she allowed me to pet her and touch her face and look at her wounds; which she never really lets me do for as long as i was able to. She seemed depperesed, this would explain her mood over the past week why this never click before i dont know.
- shaky on the leg where the wound is located.
- and the last thing is when she was swallowing the blueberry's they went side ways i could she her swallow them; i dont think this is noraml ive never seen this before and would assume that they would travel straight down the neck not go of to the side.

I dont know what to do or think, could she be sick and the boy was just trying to keep it from spreading, or is she really depressed and the boy wants her out, i just dont know.

20230712_181237.jpg

Update:
Let her calm down for a bit. Came down later to deal with the wounds and noticed a few thing that might help figure out whats going on.
- wound on the area around her air sack
- wounds on her neck
- depperesed nature when she final calmed down and allowed me to take a look at her while feed blueberry's(important for another reason) she allowed me to pet her and touch her face and look at her wounds; which she never really lets me do for as long as i was able to. She seemed depperesed, this would explain her mood over the past week why this never click before i dont know.
- shaky on the leg where the wound is located.
- and the last thing is when she was swallowing the blueberry's they went side ways i could she her swallow them; i dont think this is noraml ive never seen this before and would assume that they would travel straight down the neck not go of to the side.

I dont know what to do or think, could she be sick and the boy was just trying to keep it from spreading, or is she really depressed and the boy wants her out, i just dont know.

View attachment 3575305
Any update on this? My 6 month old female emu didn't have a wound, but did have what we think is a leg injury that caused staggering and swelling. I'm mainly curious if the wound has healed and if her other symptoms improved with that. Her wound looks large, but superficial. I hope it's healed up!

Back
Top Bottom