Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
I just bought 5 eggs from Carole at Lovedpet.com. They should be arriving by Saturday at my Post Office. I cannot wait LOL Anyone else want to join in the hatch-a-long with me? Gonna turn on my Retipro 6000 on Saturday. I am so excited, I hope I get some to hatch. This year I had to put my little female Emu chick down cause it broke it's ankle and one of my dogs to sleep due to cancer - I really need a couple or so chicks to hatch!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hope you are luckier this time, I was very unlucky last winter too, bought 5 eggs in post...some cracked and most of my Emu eggs of 35 were contaminated and lost, just had 6 hatched, and kept Cindy to be company to last years last girl Dusty..
but at least I have a souvenir from my girl Rosie.

Calla

my souvenir

Last edited:
For what it is worth, there is an Australian bird known as a brush turkey (Alectura lathami) that is the only known bird that is a no brood incubater. It does not incubate its eggs, but lays its eggs in a mound and depends on the warmth of the sun and environmental temperatures such as the heat generated from decomposing leaves and other organic matter to incubate its eggs (like a reptile). When its eggs are artificially incubated, studies have shown higher incubation temperatures produce more female hatchlings and lower incubation temperatures produce more male chicks. When left alone in their natural mound nest, the male to female ratio is more even.

I don't know if any study has ever been done with emus but I know that the sex ratio of many reptiles, especially members of the crocodilian family as well as several fishes, are influenced by incubation temperatures.

Sorry, I was a biology major/chemistry minor in college.

Last edited:
Ok Just wanted to let you know that she is gone. I think it's so nice that this vet puts them to sleep first then gives the injection, some just give the animal the injection and that's it. The Vet said that most of the time you can correct splayed leg, but that is in smaller birds. Because the Emu is growing so fast unfortunately 90% of the time it does not take. She said usually if you catch it within the first 2 weeks of life you will have that 10% but she got it later then that so there really wasn't a chance to fix it. She liked everything I did and was amazed I thought of the things I did. She said one day if we keep trying we will find something to fix it, but not today. She talked to me about the baby that broke it's leg last year and she said she has been reading what she can on Emus since then. She also was talking about my Peafowl as well. She said one day she would like to come over to see my little "farm" LOL Very nice lady she is. She wants me to bring in the other 2 for an exam, esp Theodore LOL

Last edited:
OK - I am not sure without looking back through all the posts, but who ever suggested the drill bit to tap the eggs - great job.

I was able to hear the tone of an egg going rotten "china plate sound" - now I have one egg that has clearly internal piped (can hear the chick picking at the shell) - has its own sound - and my other egg that has not sounded has a third separate sound.

If nothing else I am learning a lot - thank all of you

I wish you luck Yoda.

Sorry about your loss of 2 loved Pets.
I will join in, just hoping for more eggs...... I have only got 1 girl Rosie laying.....
Got one more , so will put them and then wait for 2 more and so on, till my younger girl starts 1st time laying, they are always later with the 1st egg.

Calla

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom