Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Was more of a "HEY! I'm in here." peep.
lol.png

Egg 7 first photo shoot
lau.gif
Went to work and was a hole and this was sitting there when I got home
celebrate.gif

Seems ok so far but has abig belly (yok sac). This is the egg that lost 107 grams and the goal was 86.55. I am going to see if it will drink pedialite tomorrow. I took a picture from above (3rd down) to see if it had a bulls eye but can't tell yet. The legs are a little apart because of the big yok sac do I still tape them and when tomorrow?
Let my female out of the box to eat and drink. Redid the thigh master and tied the legs a little closer together. Let her stand for a few and watched her fall down and try her hardest to kick off the leggins but then put her back in the box. Now I kept taping the tendon back behind the leg and now that she's grown since then it now stays in place. So that's one fector down. The one I am working on now is getting the leg back to toes pointing forward or at least somewhat forward. When she is sitting and I hold her legs forward her body turns to the left about 20 degrees or so. I am thinking if I can get what I call the thighs straight and then slowly bring in the bottom of the legs she should straighten out. What do you think?

Last edited:
Received the eggs for my second setting - Here are the weights and location of the shipper:

Note Set Date Egg # Location Starting Weight
Eugene OR
Leaker 8-Mar 1 523
8-Mar 2 609
8-Mar 3 617
8-Mar 4 527
8-Mar 5 538
8-Mar 6 620
Auburn CA
8-Mar 7 569
8-Mar 8 567
8-Mar 9 481
8-Mar 10 515
14-Mar 11 556
14-Mar 12 592
14-Mar 13 584
14-Mar 14 581
Sanford NC
14-Mar 15 544
14-Mar 16 615
14-Mar 17 639
Canyon CA
14-Mar 18 570
Salt Lake UT
14-Mar 19 553
14-Mar 20

Received the eggs for my second setting - Here are the weights and location of the shipper:

Note Set Date Egg # Location Starting Weight
Eugene OR
Leaker 8-Mar 1 523
8-Mar 2 609
8-Mar 3 617
8-Mar 4 527
8-Mar 5 538
8-Mar 6 620
Auburn CA
8-Mar 7 569
8-Mar 8 567
8-Mar 9 481
8-Mar 10 515
14-Mar 11 556
14-Mar 12 592
14-Mar 13 584
14-Mar 14 581
Sanford NC
14-Mar 15 544
14-Mar 16 615
14-Mar 17 639
Canyon CA
14-Mar 18 570
Salt Lake UT
14-Mar 19 553
14-Mar 20
Cool lets get hatching! What would you do if all 19 of those eggs hatched? LMAO!
lau.gif
Here's hoping they do!
highfive.gif

For what it is worth, there is an Australian bird known as a brush turkey (Alectura lathami) that is the only known bird that is a no brood incubater. It does not incubate its eggs, but lays its eggs in a mound and depends on the warmth of the sun and environmental temperatures such as the heat generated from decomposing leaves and other organic matter to incubate its eggs (like a reptile). When its eggs are artificially incubated, studies have shown higher incubation temperatures produce more female hatchlings and lower incubation temperatures produce more male chicks. When left alone in their natural mound nest, the male to female ratio is more even.

I don't know if any study has ever been done with emus but I know that the sex ratio of many reptiles, especially members of the crocodilian family as well as several fishes, are influenced by incubation temperatures.

Sorry, I was a biology major/chemistry minor in college.

Last edited:
I have read a lot about the "perfect temp" to incubate EMU eggs - Most say 97.5 F but a few actual studies that have been done say closer to 95.5 to 96.2 F so I am splitting the difference and trying to Dial everything in at 96.5F - no idea if that will give me more males than females
smile.png
I will be happy if I get some to hatch and they are healthy - Hoping to get a couple of breeding pairs, we will have to wait 55 days to see.

For what it is worth, there is an Australian bird known as a brush turkey (Alectura lathami) that is the only known bird that is a no brood incubater. It does not incubate its eggs, but lays its eggs in a mound and depends on the warmth of the sun and environmental temperatures such as the heat generated from decomposing leaves and other organic matter to incubate its eggs (like a reptile). When its eggs are artificially incubated, studies have shown higher incubation temperatures produce more female hatchlings and lower incubation temperatures produce more male chicks. When left alone in their natural mound nest, the male to female ratio is more even. I don't know if any study has ever been done with emus but I know that the sex ratio of many reptiles, especially members of the crocodilian family as well as several fishes, are influenced by incubation temperatures. Sorry, I was a biology major/chemistry minor in college.

lol.. I went with 97.5 last year and got 9 boys and 1 girl...

this time it was 95.5.. so we'll see
gig.gif

i think I did read something about the temp and emus though.. it was just a blurb.. I'll have to see if I can find it again

The first one is doing great so far, The other two haven't pipped yet but I can hear them inside the eggs. When do I offer help? Friday is day 51.

Back
Top Bottom