Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Weigh in for week 1 - when I look at average weight target for 9 eggs 548 g actual 547.2g (not bad for the first week).

Age Note Set Date Egg # Location Starting Weight Actual #1 Week #1 target
Eugene OR
3 Leaker 8-Mar 1 523
7 8-Mar 2 609 596 596
8-Mar 3 617 604 604
8-Mar 4 527 516 516
8-Mar 5 538 524 526
8-Mar 6 620 609 607
Auburn CA
7 8-Mar 7 569 556 557
8-Mar 8 567 552 555
8-Mar 9 481 467 471
8-Mar 10 515 501

Last edited:
I personally did not tape the legs, it's better to just give them a good surface to walk on for the first few weeks and let them exercise naturally. If there's reason to believe there's a problem then taping the legs would be the step to take, it's one of the things I'll be watching for like a hawk this week.

I hate the first week, I'd rather do the whole incubation over again, less strain on the heart. Every little thing turns into a "HUH? SOMETHING WRON- oh no it's just yawning." for me.
th.gif

Much more fun when they get bigger and you can take em out and run em on the lawn.

I personally did not tape the legs, it's better to just give them a good surface to walk on for the first few weeks and let them exercise naturally. If there's reason to believe there's a problem then taping the legs would be the step to take, it's one of the things I'll be watching for like a hawk this week.

I hate the first week, I'd rather do the whole incubation over again, less strain on the heart. Every little thing turns into a "HUH? SOMETHING WRON- oh no it's just yawning." for me.
th.gif

Much more fun when they get bigger and you can take em out and run em on the lawn.

Oh yeah.. i hate the first week too.. making sure everyone is eating.. and walking correctly..

I would almost rather they stayed in their eggs and wiggled at me..
gig.gif

Course then they get big and it's like "Get off my lap! You're too heavy!"
lol.png

Here's a timelapse of the hatch too:

Egg 4 stopped moving and has not moved all day. I drilled a small hole and still no movement. I opened the egg carefully and found no red blood vessels just brown. Still no movement. I opened the membrane and found a dead chick inside.
hit.gif
I think had I drilled the hole and put a band aid on it it would've hatched. But I can't dwell on what should've been done. Egg one I drilled a hole by hand and the egg cracked and the broken piece tore the membrane. I stopped the bleeding and it is still alive. I put wet guaze over the hole. The chick is still alive but I don't know for how long. I will have to keep checking the hole and hopefully it will hatch. This is the one that lost very little weight. The dead egg was basically on target. It still had the yok sac outside the body so I am thinking it ran out of air maybe?
idunno.gif

Wonderful, Raptor!!!!! Thank you.

[The notion of the ‘room’ under the male as he sits on the eggs. Let’s have a think about that: he’s not sitting on the eggs per se, is he. His full weight is not on the eggs. Oh wow!! If only we could get a hatch cam under an incubating male!!]

Supreme Emu

Egg 4 stopped moving and has not moved all day. I drilled a small hole and still no movement. I opened the egg carefully and found no red blood vessels just brown. Still no movement. I opened the membrane and found a dead chick inside.
hit.gif
I think had I drilled the hole and put a band aid on it it would've hatched. But I can't dwell on what should've been done. Egg one I drilled a hole by hand and the egg cracked and the broken piece tore the membrane. I stopped the bleeding and it is still alive. I put wet guaze over the hole. The chick is still alive but I don't know for how long. I will have to keep checking the hole and hopefully it will hatch. This is the one that lost very little weight. The dead egg was basically on target. It still had the yok sac outside the body so I am thinking it ran out of air maybe?
idunno.gif

hugs.gif

did you notice the color around the chick's eyes?.. carbon dioxide poisoning makes that area look red

Last edited:
hugs.gif

did you notice the color around the chick's eyes?.. carbon dioxide poisoning makes that area look red
yes it had a lot of red swelling around the eyes. I know it ran out of air in the egg but there is nothing I can do about the bird that did not make it. I need help with the bird that is still in the egg. There is a 1.5 inch piece of shell missing. I have a wet gauze pad taped over the hole. Do I remove the end of the shell to find the head and leave the rest just in case the yok sac is not absorbed? I lost one in the shell and do not want to lose the other so any and all help is very much appreciated ASAP
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom