Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

The temp at the bottom is 96.5. I know egg 4 will most likely hatch on it's own cause it is rockin and rollin but egg one is the one thst has not lost a lot of weight. I hear it chirping but it is not moving hardly at all. You guys said I would have to help it out but I do not know when? Egg 1 was on the top shelf of the incubator at 97 - 97.5.

My egg pipped this morning, hasn't done anything more since then but I put up a temporary webcam anyway:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/emu-egg-hatch1

I take that back, it made a big crack after I put the camera in though you can't see it in the stream (That bit sticking up at the top is where it pipped).
The quality isn't that great right now, I'm using a PS3 Eye cam. I'll move the incubator out to the other camera later on and it'll look better.

Last edited:
The temp at the bottom is 96.5. I know egg 4 will most likely hatch on it's own cause it is rockin and rollin but egg one is the one thst has not lost a lot of weight. I hear it chirping but it is not moving hardly at all. You guys said I would have to help it out but I do not know when? Egg 1 was on the top shelf of the incubator at 97 - 97.5.

it's your call since it's your egg.. I would be tempted to drill a small hole first and see if I could see anything.. but even at that I think i would wait til later this evening or even tomorrow...
You'll have to be the final judge since I can't hear how he sounds

I had one stay in the egg for 5 days after sounding last year before I went and broke her out myself. She was malpositioned was the problem and couldn't use her beak to pip the shell so all she was doing was straining against it with her feet and getting nowhere, she survived the hatch but still died a 6 days later.

This was a very last resort decision as she was starting to weaken and I decided it was better to have her die outside the egg if that was what was going to happen. Once they pip they have a ready supply of fresh air and a couple days worth of yolk to keep them going.

I put some Vetericyn on the navel, good stuff for wounds and germs without being invasive.

I need to hug her
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom