I live "down the road and around the corner"
smile.png

Ludlow Ma about 90 minutes from Boston
Oh my goodieness! How much for a boy?

I know someone with a female and he might just want a male for her
big_smile.png
hopefully I can save a life
celebrate.gif

I do understand all the eating of the birds but please why go through all the mess and disgusting stuff when you can go to the butcher and just order a thick steak? My father use to go hunting and when he bought home a dead deer and had to hang it by it's back legs and then butcher it I thought isn't it easier to buy a steak?

My two little ones are in the pig peacock/chicken pen and they even go in and out the bird door LOL

Last edited:
That's the point of rasing your own birds etc... you don't want to go buy the steak that you have no idea how the animal was treated or what it was fed. My birds have a great life and I show them all the respect I can, but some will feed my family.
I think everyone should see how their food is raised and processed - we are to far removed from the process.
My daughter told me (when she was younger) that she could only eat boneless chicken - she had no idea that someone just cut the meat off the bone and put it in a package.

You can see where I am going -

That's the point of rasing your own birds etc... you don't want to go buy the steak that you have no idea how the animal was treated or what it was fed. My birds have a great life and I show them all the respect I can, but some will feed my family. I think everyone should see how their food is raised and processed - we are to far removed from the process. My daughter told me (when she was younger) that she could only eat boneless chicken - she had no idea that someone just cut the meat off the bone and put it in a package. You can see where I am going -
I have to admit I never thought of that and most likely never will LMAO! Just like I love a good hotdog but do not want to know what's in it. I look at it this way, you want to eat your birds then you have a right to they are yours. Me I look at what I have to do to the bird and the mess I have to clean up - oh and the flies that it will attract. Way to much to think about, I myself would rather just go buy an already for the oven packaged bird. Wash it and stuff it and enjoy it.
I know someone who has a female and really might be interested in buying a male from you. Do you want to sell one? If so how much?

That's the point of rasing your own birds etc... you don't want to go buy the steak that you have no idea how the animal was treated or what it was fed. My birds have a great life and I show them all the respect I can, but some will feed my family. I think everyone should see how their food is raised and processed - we are to far removed from the process. My daughter told me (when she was younger) that she could only eat boneless chicken - she had no idea that someone just cut the meat off the bone and put it in a package. You can see where I am going -

Amen. We enjoy a rich diet of pheasant, quail, chicken, ostrich, and midget white turkey from our own farm and brahma beef and tender lamb, right from a neighbor's farm. We watch them grow. Enjoy their company. And are thankful for the food they provide. Right now we have a flock of "meat" chickens we are growing out that will take care of 100% of our chicken needs for the next year after they are processed. It's the first year we are going to attempt to fulfill 100% of our meat needs outside of the grocery store. Texas A&M and Northern Bobwhite Quail... deep fried, on the grill, broiled, boiled, breaded and pan fried... You get the picture :)

We over produce silver pheasants because they dress out so well. A male can give 8 - 10 pounds. Ostrich? Nothing like a tender steak no doubt. Now the ostrich we have done by a combination of a mobile slaughter unit and a local butcher. But the smaller game? That's why God gave me two hands to build a bleeding rack. A scalder, a plucker, a sharp knife, and vacuum sealer seals the deal. And when it's all said and done and the birds are in the freezer? Out comes a Bobcat and into the dirt goes the 'nasty' where it belongs.

Quote:
It's not only knowing that you gave them the best life possible.. it's also knowing what has been done to the "meat" while it was still on the hoof or foot.. what drugs it had been given.. what illnesses it had been treated for.. not to mention what kind of feed and how it was treated.

Sure I can go to the store and buy hormone, drug filled meat that was processed under uncertain conditions by people who may or may not have followed guidelines set forth by the government... ... but I choose not to.. Others may choose to.. and that is their right..

having worked in processing plants and slaughter houses.. i can honestly say that there are a lot of rules that are sidestepped when the inspectors backs are turned.. I have also witnessed contaminated meat tossed in with the "good" meat... not to mention a few other "happenings" that I hate to mention (for example.. male workers urinating into the vats of brine and so on due to lack of bathroom breaks)
The animals are treated better too when I do my own processing. I have witnessed chickens being dumped from the trucks alive like garbage into the processing shute only to suffer broken bones before making it to the blade that slits their throat.. as well as cattle that "missed" the piston to the skull only to be drug with a meat hook through their neck, alive and kicking to finally have their throats slit
It's never a pretty sight at the slaughter houses.. but having worked there at least I can try to do things a bit better for the animals that I raise.

I tried to Find the website Lovedpet.com but it pulled up cremation and burial items? Can you help me get started?

Back
Top Bottom