Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

I stop turning when I hear chirping.

Grassman Congrats! I couldn't kill my Emus for meat. I wanted a pair but if I ended up with 2 pairs I was going to donate one pair to our local zoo. There I know they would be taken care of.
wink.png
Next year is another try and I will see if the zoo wants any
big_smile.png

Kiril Maybe you can but a male from Grassman or Yinepu? Congrats on the girls
celebrate.gif

dare I tell you that I have emu meat in the fridge and freezer right now?
hide.gif

Yoda
I know raising birds for meat is a tough thing to do - I raise a lot of ducks and geese and I do eat many of them during the year and sell the rest so I have room for my hobby - Hatching eggs
smile.png

Now I say I have a plan - keep a few breeding pairs and process the balance, but it's only a plan at this point in time. Everyday I walk the chicks from their shed (where they spend the night) to the chick run where they can exercise. The more time I spend with them - may change my business plan.

My main flock consists of around: 40 breeder birds (4 Emus) - during hatching I can easily have 200 or more birds on hand
15 layer chickens with two roosters - enough eggs for the family to eat and fertilized eggs for hatching.
6 Geese - 4 geese and 2 ganders - sell hatching eggs in the spring along with goslings.
15 Muscovy ducks - 13 ducks and 2 drakes. Raise and sell ducklings and meat birds.
9 Emus - 7 males and 2 females (the ratio will not work in the long run)

Grassman.. have you ever tasted emu meat?

If so then I won't have to tell you this.. but it is delicious.. like very tender flavorful veal.. super tender (don't even need a knife to cut it). In all honesty if we had the land and resources we would probably do away with the chickens and raise just emu for meat and perhaps some ducks for meat and eggs

Just within the past few weeks we had emu stew and emu steaks... plenty more meat in the freezer and fridge.

for our birds there are a few that we wouldn't kill for the meat.. Paco and Dorian (and Rose since she's our only girl at this point)
If something were to happen to any of them Paco is still the only one I don't think I could put a fork to. He's my baby.. however if Dorian or Rose were to die from an accident or need to be put down due to injuries... we wouldn't waste the meat. Yes.. we love them.. but they aren't my silly ol Paco.. and well.. wasted meat is just that.. wasted meat

We have re-homed a few of the emu chicks since we ended up with so many boys... if one of the final two chicks ends up being a female then she will be spared from Freezer Camp unless she ends up getting seriously hurt. The other chick is still debatable... I still have them running up to greet me every day.. looking for attention and snacks. But my ducks, geese and chickens do the same thing (as do the turkeys and pigeons). We aren't super rich.. so the birds are here for a reason.. breeders, meat, eggs and finally a select few as pets. Since we have so many it's just not in our best interests to make all of them pets.

Next year we will be hatching out more.. hopefully to get a few more females. Excess males will either be rehomed to people who need a male.. or grow out for the freezer.

Well, if any of you live near New England I would love a male for my two girls and save him from the freezer....... 8 -)

Yinepu
I agree 100% up until this winter not a single one of my birds had a name - they were farm animals and rotated in and out.

This winter I was asked to take a pet chicken and keep it for eggs, but not to sell it or eat it - call it a rescue (first one with a name Henryetta).

Now my first Emu is my step son's pet Pogo - he will be a pet and a breeder - the balance are livestock - still plan on breeding to sell eggs and chicks as I do with all my birds.

I will have to try Emu meat when a few reach 12-14 months of age.

Do you sell the fat for oil - skin for leather?? just wondering if there are markets out there?

Yinepu
I agree 100% up until this winter not a single one of my birds had a name - they were farm animals and rotated in and out.

This winter I was asked to take a pet chicken and keep it for eggs, but not to sell it or eat it - call it a rescue (first one with a name Henryetta).

Now my first Emu is my step son's pet Pogo - he will be a pet and a breeder - the balance are livestock - still plan on breeding to sell eggs and chicks as I do with all my birds.

I will have to try Emu meat when a few reach 12-14 months of age.

Do you sell the fat for oil - skin for leather?? just wondering if there are markets out there?

we are keeping the oil (i make cold process soaps and that sort of thing)
I already have people in line for hides/skins.. mostly taxidermists.. though I will be keeping some of those for myself too.

I know butchering emus is a touchy subject on here.. but so is butchering chickens if you say it in the wrong thread!
people just need to step back and remember that if it weren't for the meat industry.. they wouldn't be able to find an emu so easily to keep as a pet. Plus the ranchers helped pave the way for the info we have on feeding and vet care

Ostich meat is rich... the same thing. I have respect for those who enjoy the beauty of the bird. I personally love all stages of growth from chicks to breeders. They have wonderful personalities and are amazing to watch hauling butt across a pasture. But in the end they are feathers, leather, oil, and meat. :)

Morning!

It’s an issue of human psychology whereby a human arbitrarily – key word – attaches an emotional value to a critter. It’s an issue (an aspect of the little-understood degree of illogic in overall human behaviour) that took me a long time figure out politically.

arbitrary!

Supreme Emu

Ostich meat is rich... the same thing. I have respect for those who enjoy the beauty of the bird. I personally love all stages of growth from chicks to breeders. They have wonderful personalities and are amazing to watch hauling butt across a pasture. But in the end they are feathers, leather, oil, and meat. :)

Oh I love to watch mine stroll across an open pasture...

But I also like the taste...

the way I look at it.. we can enjoy them for their beauty and personalities.. and make sure they have a nice life and are well cared for.. but in the end the majority of mine will end up in the freezer. At least I know they had a great life and I gave them the best care possible while they were alive

I know i remind everyone from time to time.. but if it weren't for the ranchers who raised these birds for meat and oil we wouldn't have as much access to them as we do now. If they were ONLY available to zoos the cost to purchase one would be insane and we wouldn't have nearly the info we do as to how to properly care for them in a "home setting"... Plus they would be considered "exotic pets" instead of livestock so special permits would be required not to mention that exotics are banned in many areas.

Morning!

It’s an issue of human psychology whereby a human arbitrarily – key word – attaches an emotional value to a critter. It’s an issue (an aspect of the little-understood degree of illogic in overall human behaviour) that took me a long time figure out politically.

arbitrary!

Supreme Emu

It's the same as eating horse meat.. people refuse to try it yet eating a cow or a pig is acceptable in many areas... same with eating dog or cat.

Personally i have no interest in eating a horse, dog or cat... however I have no problem with others eating them so long as they don't come after the ones that are mine!

(I also refuse to eat octopus.. I have a hard time with the thought of me eating a critter that is a heck of a lot smarter than I am!)
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom