Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Received the results back from Zoogen today:
10 Chicks
7 Males
3 Females

wee.gif

This is great news - My plans are still in place - 3 breeding pairs and a few that I can raise for meat.

I have logged where each chick came from - and they are marked - will be able to ensure unrelated pairings

Just reviewed my "chick chart" The females are from different sellers than the males - no overlap

Last edited:
Great News Grassman. I should be getting my results back this afternoon. With only 2 chicks my outcome isn't as critical. I just really want to know so I can call them he or she.......I want to be politically correct even with my emus. Hehehe

I was supposed to call Zoogen yesterday to get my results but I got so busy at work that I forgot......****, now I'll have to wait until Tuesday!!!!!! Ugh

Well, I called Zoogen and got my results. Both Sydney and Rio are girls. I'm very excited because all I need to di us get a male and I'll have a perfect trio.......if they were not and girl I'd have no way of knowing if they came from the same pair because the seller of my eggs didn't mark them as such. So I'm very pleased. I would have been bummed if they were both boys. (Sorry to all the peeps that got so many boys this year) 8 -)

Today I'm on day 43. My first egg started out with a weight of 581.3 and now weighs 502.7. My second egg started out at 542.4 and now weighs 467.7. According to my calculations they're both right on target. However, I'm not seeing any wiggling or chirping. I'm also wondering what day is best to stop turning? This Thursday? I'm really nervous. I hope they're okay in there. I'm incubating at a low temp., so maybe they're a little on the slow side.

I stop turning when I hear chirping.

Grassman Congrats! I couldn't kill my Emus for meat. I wanted a pair but if I ended up with 2 pairs I was going to donate one pair to our local zoo. There I know they would be taken care of.
wink.png
Next year is another try and I will see if the zoo wants any
big_smile.png

Kiril Maybe you can but a male from Grassman or Yinepu? Congrats on the girls
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Yoda
I know raising birds for meat is a tough thing to do - I raise a lot of ducks and geese and I do eat many of them during the year and sell the rest so I have room for my hobby - Hatching eggs
smile.png

Now I say I have a plan - keep a few breeding pairs and process the balance, but it's only a plan at this point in time. Everyday I walk the chicks from their shed (where they spend the night) to the chick run where they can exercise. The more time I spend with them - may change my business plan.

My main flock consists of around: 40 breeder birds (4 Emus) - during hatching I can easily have 200 or more birds on hand
15 layer chickens with two roosters - enough eggs for the family to eat and fertilized eggs for hatching.
6 Geese - 4 geese and 2 ganders - sell hatching eggs in the spring along with goslings.
15 Muscovy ducks - 13 ducks and 2 drakes. Raise and sell ducklings and meat birds.
9 Emus - 7 males and 2 females (the ratio will not work in the long run)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom