Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

my biggest pale egg is the same way.. not losing nearly enough weight... so i am beginning to think that instead of missing the outer layer that it has 2 extra layers.. it was a little weepy the day I put it in the bator.. but only slightly.. so I think it's probably bad anyway

Can you move it closer to the fan?.. hopefully if you can it will even out a bit
Yes I moved it closer to the fan. My light egg was a gonner in a few days LOL. I am going to blow the egg out cause I do like the color of it LOL

Here's some pictures of Callisto:
Neck is fine:

She is eating like a little pig:

As you can see dirty mouth
roll.png
:

Looking at what's on the floor to eat:

Ah, piece of shaving yum yum:

Thanks. Today is day 49 for egg 6 and no movement no noise. I do not think it will hatch but here is the weight anyway. Egg 8 was removed it went stinky on me
hmm.png

Egg 6 -
Dec 29 - 523 - % goal loss 78.45
Jan 05 - 511 = 12 grams or 2.29%
Jan 12 - 497 = 14 grams or 2.74%
Jan 19 - 487 = 10 grams or 2.01%
Jan 26 - 477 = 10 grams or 2.05%
Feb 02 - 466 = 11 grams or 2.31%
Feb 09 - 455 = 11 grams or 2.36%
Feb 16 - 447 = 8 grams or 1.76% no movement or noise still
Total grams lost so far is = 76 plus still has 2 days so weight loss is on track.
Feb 18 - hatch date​

Last edited:
When do you typically begin to see movement or hear the egg make noise?
Yoda, is this the baby that was struggling? What a beauty!

When do you typically begin to see movement or hear the egg make noise?
Yoda, is this the baby that was struggling? What a beauty!
Between the 4-5 week you will see the eggs wiggle or rock. Once the chick breaks the inner membrane you can hear it chirping and the egg moves a lot more as it gets closer to hatching. Yes that is the one who had the (wry, crooked) neck. I took my magic bullet and put in some chick starter and cracked corn. Ground it into a powder and added pedialyte clear to make a thick "soup" and added one eye dropper full of poly vitamins. I carefully tube fed this to the chick because she couldn't hold her head up to drink. I fed her3 - 4 times a day. When she started to hold her head up I gave her straight pedialyte in the waterer and continued to tube feed for a couple days. Once I seen that she could eat on her own, I added the poly vitamins to the pedialyte in the waterer. Seeing that she would put her head between her legs when she tried to eat I bought ceramic dog dishes to bring the food off the ground. I filled the dished with pine shavings and placed the waterer inside one. She cannot knock it over cause it's not on the ground but it is high enough for her to drink out of. As you can see in the picture below she doesn't keep a clean house LOL Yes I put cat toy balls in with her to keep her busy
wink.png

Below is the food ground to a powder

Last edited:
Well.. as I had suspected. Egg H (the one that was broken when it arrived) had been contaminated. It started stinking. When I went to blow it out a good portion of the egg broke off.. so I know there were also a lot of hairline cracks that i couldn't see. It was also lost in the mail with three other California eggs for several days. Time will tell if the others are duds too or not.

Yoda,

I commend your practice of putting toys in with the chicks!!

The wild chicks that I’ve been observing here – still stripies when they turned up – receive a tremendous amount of physical and mental stimulation: grazing on a wide variety of foods; following dad around the 'maze' that is the house's environment; going swimming; moving from pasture to pasture.

On the afternoon that Boy Emu ‘upped stakes’ with the clutch that he hatched here – the youngest chick was no more than five hours out of the egg – I reckon (guessing where he was headed, and the lay of the land) that those chicks covered a mile before roosting.

Within a matter of days, the same chicks are probably covering a couple of miles a day. I ‘mapped’ Eric’s two chicks at five miles one day when they were about three months.

I’d be so pleased if we could develop a ‘suggested protocol’ to give to those who ask, things like hanging little bunches of greens around chicks’ environment. (Wild birds can jump easily a foot straight up, which they do all the time to score fruit.) And toys to amuse them, and strengthen their legs. A shrub or two in the birds’ pen -- I feel that this doesn’t make the pen smaller, but makes it ‘bigger’ in that it allows birds to get out of sight of each other.

Any other ideas, guys?

S.E.

Back
Top Bottom