Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

At this point I'd be happy if just one hatched, long time to wait for three blown out eggs.
idunno.gif

Bah this egg is making me nuts, Day 51 on it so I've been checking it reasonably often. It refuses to so much as twitch, but when I hold it up to my ear and can hear faint noises inside, the sort of noises a membrane makes.

If it hatches and is a boy I'm gonna have to name it Bilbo.
"Bilbo? Bilbo Baggins, I KNOW you're in there."

"Shh, they're after the egg! They'll never forgive me for taking this long. I've got to get away from these confounded relatives, hanging on the shell all day, never giving me a moment's peace."

lol.png

Egg B did a little spin for me this morning though, no mistake there. It's 32 days in.

For what it’s worth, I do admire your discipline and patience. I fear that I’d be the type that would want to ‘assist’ with a screwdriver on Day Forty.

Think of it as a Personality Development Exercise.

[Clear hot blue sky today, guys. Alpha Chick is systematically driving Felicity up the wall. He’s fast and cheeky. Definitely wild birds ‘in orbit’ at this point. One came up to the lilly pilly tree by the house yesterday. First such cheekiness this season. Saw crows taxing figs from the top of the tree yesterday.]

‘Master of one’s temper, master of all.’ Tolstoy

S.E.

Bah this egg is making me nuts, Day 51 on it so I've been checking it reasonably often. It refuses to so much as twitch, but when I hold it up to my ear and can hear faint noises inside, the sort of noises a membrane makes.

If it hatches and is a boy I'm gonna have to name it Bilbo.
"Bilbo? Bilbo Baggins, I KNOW you're in there."

"Shh, they're after the egg! They'll never forgive me for taking this long. I've got to get away from these confounded relatives, hanging on the shell all day, never giving me a moment's peace."

lol.png

Egg B did a little spin for me this morning though, no mistake there. It's 32 days in.

gig.gif

i would be tempted to make a teeny hole into the air cell...
Ya know.. you would think he would have peeped if he's broken through...

question:.. is the egg still laying at a slant?.. or has it leveled back out?

It's always been level, but it hasn't stunk, perspired or weeped. I've been checking under the marking tape frequently, I found with my other egg that the bad eggs 'sweat' under the tape so when you pull it back it's wet and very stinky under there. If by Sunday (Day 56) I don't see any change I may consider an exploratory hole in the air cell end to see what I can see, but I'll go down that road when I get there, but the membrane sound in the egg isn't loud like a chick actively moving around so I think it's safe to say it hasn't sounded and I'm just hearing the air cell being moved.

The egg has a good sound and a well developed air cell though so I'm still holding out on the idea that it's just a shy one, remember a remark by someone, may have been you yinepu, who had an egg they thought was bad and when they went to get it to toss it out there was a chick in the bator instead of an egg.
lol.png

For what it's worth Gerry never leaned either, course he was also a spitfire in his egg so it was plainly obvious he was alive in there. At this point I'm satisfied that at least one of them shows obvious signs of life.

It's always been level, but it hasn't stunk, perspired or weeped. I've been checking under the marking tape frequently, I found with my other egg that the bad eggs 'sweat' under the tape so when you pull it back it's wet and very stinky under there. If by Sunday (Day 56) I don't see any change I may consider an exploratory hole in the air cell end to see what I can see, but I'll go down that road when I get there, but the membrane sound in the egg isn't loud like a chick actively moving around so I think it's safe to say it hasn't sounded and I'm just hearing the air cell being moved.

The egg has a good sound and a well developed air cell though so I'm still holding out on the idea that it's just a shy one, remember a remark by someone, may have been you yinepu, who had an egg they thought was bad and when they went to get it to toss it out there was a chick in the bator instead of an egg.
lol.png

For what it's worth Gerry never leaned either, course he was also a spitfire in his egg so it was plainly obvious he was alive in there. At this point I'm satisfied that at least one of them shows obvious signs of life.

Nope.. wasn't me

when you hold the egg to your ear.. do you move it or tilt it at all when you hear the noise?... I'm wondering if it's bad and it's sloshing a bit inside

does it want to lay only on one side when you set it down?.. or will it stay whichever way you place it?

Nope I can't get it to slosh I did indeed consider and check for that, it just makes the noise on it's own regardless of how I hold it. I put the egg on a pillow to listen so outside sounds don't foul it up. Maybe I'll try putting a microphone on it in a bit, I did that with Gerry once and was able to record him peeping and moving around in the egg.

It does prefer a certain position but it's never the same each time, sometimes it will settle on the downside of the marking tape, sometimes a little to the side of the tape.

It just won't wiggle at all, so in spite of all this it refuses to do the one thing that would tell me it's indeed alive.

Back
Top Bottom