Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

"The egg has a good sound and a well developed air cell though so I'm still holding out on the idea that it's just a shy one, remember a remark by someone, may have been you yinepu, who had an egg they thought was bad and when they went to get it to toss it out there was a chick in the bator instead of an egg.
lol.png
"
...........That was me and that bird hatched on Day 55!

Last edited:
PLEASE HELP!
he.gif
I have friends who have raised Emus for years. They lost their source for vit. mineral pkt. Since they haven't had hardly any eggs & no hatchability. Can anyone help. They will be going through my account "BJonTHEborder" as they don't have another way to connect. I Will refer to them as W&N.
THANK YOU in advance!

One of my eggs is on day 53, and i stopped turning it and raised the humidity. When i lay it on a flat smooth surface it rolls quickly onto one side, precisely the opposite of how it was placed in the incubator, as if the air sac moved to the eggs bottom side :hmm i can hear absolutely nothing when i put it to my ear and there is absolutely no bad smell whatsoever... Im puzzled and i wouldnt dream of cracking the egg myself in case i hurt the chick (if there is one in there in the first place :p)

One of my eggs is on day 53, and i stopped turning it and raised the humidity. When i lay it on a flat smooth surface it rolls quickly onto one side, precisely the opposite of how it was placed in the incubator, as if the air sac moved to the eggs bottom side :hmm i can hear absolutely nothing when i put it to my ear and there is absolutely no bad smell whatsoever... Im puzzled and i wouldnt dream of cracking the egg myself in case i hurt the chick (if there is one in there in the first place :p)

you dont need to raise the humidity on emu eggs...

what has your temperatures been during incubation.. and have you tap tested the egg yet to see if it has sounded?

PLEASE HELP!
he.gif
I have friends who have raised Emus for years. They lost their source for vit. mineral pkt. Since they haven't had hardly any eggs & no hatchability. Can anyone help. They will be going through my account "BJonTHEborder" as they don't have another way to connect. I Will refer to them as W&N.
THANK YOU in advance!

vitamins for the adults?..
If it's for the adults.. what have they been feeding them?

you dont need to raise the humidity on emu eggs... 

what has your temperatures been during incubation.. and have you tap tested the egg yet to see if it has sounded?

The temperature has been 35.5 after reducing from 37.5 because i was told its way too high... Ill remove the water from the incubator thanks :) if by tap testing you mean simply tapping with a fingernail, well yes i try it everyday, and yet i cant hear anything... Is it possible that i killed the embryo with the high temperature early on in the incubation? What does the rolling mean?
Cheers :)

Quote:
ok.. you need a heavy solid piece of metal..like a drill bit.. then set the egg on a level solid surface (not a towel) and tap it with the metal. See what kind of sound it makes.. if it is a deep "thunk" then the egg has not sounded and is not ready to hatch (assuming it has a live embryo inside)..

If the sound is a high pitched "tink" (like tapping on fine china) then it means the egg has sounded. You should have one of three things going on in there if it has:

1: a live chick that has pipped through the inner membrane
2: a dead chick that has begun to rot causing the membrane to pull back from the inside of the shell
3: a rotten egg who has also had the membrane pull away from inside the shell

if it has not sounded you will need to tap test it every day until it sounds.. or until hatch date has past

If the egg has not sounded just keep turning it.. if it has sounded let it roll to where it wants to stay and place it back into the bator the same way it had settled.

I tried it on both of my eggs. One of them, the one which has been incubating for four days longer than the other one, is making the high pitched "tlink" sound when i tap it with the metal on the sides. The ends give a more low pitched sound. Where there is the air bubble, the sound is like a hollow tap. I let it roll to the position it wanted to stay and placed it back in the incubator. The other one hasnt sounded, so i turned it again like i always did...

Should i remain hopeful just on the fact that there are no bad smells?

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom