Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Meaning no offence, ‘she found that going closer to how it's naturally done resulted in stronger healthier chicks’ really shouldn’t be a surprise to us.

Recap of past info: Boy Emu’s chicks – 100% natural – hatched over five days. The last hatched on the morning of the day that ‘Boy Emu Plus’ pulled up stakes (that is, abandoned the two remaining eggs. At that time, I didn’t understand that dad would know, from lack of sound and movement, that the eggs were infertile).

The ‘litter’ in the chicks’ environment was six and eight inches deep in plenty of places. Well, that last-hatched chick negotiated a hundred yards of it as they travelled to drink, then headed off into the wild blue yonder with everyone else. It must have covered a half a mile on the day it hatched.

S.E. has seen really young chicks at close range on only a couple of memorable occasions. I’ve seen a chick so small that it was literally ploughing through six inches of grass. (Observed right here at the house. Male with clutch of one. Saw a tiny little head stickin’ up out of the litter as dad approached. Dad has to walk r e a l l y s l o w l y.)

On another famous occasion, I had to run to ground two less-than-a-week-old chicks. Wasn’t easy. One evaded me for over a hundred yards – well hey! I’m old and slow!! (Remember Aisle Five and Aisle Seven. Gotta visit them!)

My point is that the wild chicks seem to be purty durn strong right off the bat.

And boy!! I sure would like to see a chick hatch!!

S.E.

Last edited:
Meaning no offence, ‘she found that going closer to how it's naturally done resulted in stronger healthier chicks’ really shouldn’t be a surprise to us.

Recap of past info: Boy Emu’s chicks – 100% natural – hatched over five days. The last hatched on the morning of the day that ‘Boy Emu Plus’ pulled up stakes (that is, abandoned the two remaining eggs. At that time, I didn’t understand that dad would know, from lack of sound and movement, that the eggs were infertile).

The ‘litter’ in the chicks’ environment was six and eight inches deep in plenty of places. Well, that last-hatched chick negotiated a hundred yards of it as they travelled to drink, then headed off into the wild blue yonder with everyone else. It must have covered a half a mile on the day it hatched.

S.E. has seen really young chicks at close range on only a couple of memorable occasions. I’ve seen a chick so small that it was literally ploughing through six inches of grass. (Observed right here at the house. Male with clutch of one. Saw a tiny little head stickin’ up out of the litter as dad approached. Dad has to walk r e a l l y s l o w l y.)

On another famous occasion, I had to run to ground two less-than-a-week-old chicks. Wasn’t easy. One evaded me for over a hundred yards – well hey! I’m old and slow!! (Remember Aisle Five and Aisle Seven. Gotta visit them!)

My point is that the wild chicks seem to be purty durn strong right off the bat.

And boy!! I sure would like to see a chick hatch!!

S.E.

that just verifies what Janice Castleberry found through her hatching.. she stated that chicks hatched out at lower temps (which matched the male emu incubation) resulted in healthier, stronger chicks...

the way we have been incubating them at higher temps makes the chicks hatch out prematurely from what they would in the wild.. much like how a premature baby needs special care and won't be as strong as one carried to term. Our chicks that hatch out at 97.5 or higher could never travel a half mile on the day it hatched... many are lucky if they can even stand up for more than a few seconds on their first day

The chicks I hatched out at 95.5 were up and moving around on day 1.. it made a big impression on me as to how differently they were acting as compared to the previous hatch..

You can hear the chick inside the egg chirping around day 48. You whistle it will chirp or you tap it and it will chirp. I stop turning the egg when I hear chirping (usually last 3 days). If it doesn't hatch by day 51 then I use the drill bit not the drill. My eggs were 96 degrees. I had one hatch but the other 2 didn't. On day 52 one egg stopped chirping. I hand drilled a hole and there was no movement. I opened the egg and the chick did not finish absorbing the yok sac. It had dark red around the eyes, poor little thing. I went to the next egg and hardly any chirping. I drilled that one too. When I removed the bit I broke the shell, so I put wet guaze over the hole. The next day I see the chick breathing very hard when I was rewetting the guaze. I decided to remove the shell until I found the head but leave the bottom half on just in case this one didn't absorb the yok sac. The membrane was shrinking around the chick and drying out, it was covering the chick's face so I removed the membrane and breathing went back to normal. Within an hour the chick was completely out of the shell and bleeding from where the yok sac was. I stopped the bleeding and put neosporin over the yok area and taped it. Within 2 days she was healed and I gave her a bath to get the dried stuff off her LOL. Here are pics of both the one that hatched by itself and the one I helped. The smaller one is the one I helped. Today was first day outside so I setup a dog run for them. The last 2 pics are head shots for those keeping males and females. Last pic is female headshot.

Last edited:
Ok, so today is day 46 and this afternoon will start day 47.......when I went to turn the eggs they were shaking and rocking almost constantly so I didn't bother turning them. I've heard to stop between 3 and 5 days prior to hatch and they're due Monday. Soooooo, I'm done for now. All I have left to do is talk them out. Crazy excited.......

Today is day 49 for 4 of my eggs - two still moving good, but have not sounded. One that is showing no signs of life is warm near the small egg and cooler at the air pocket and when tap tested sounds like "a china plate".

I have moved these four to the bottom tray of my cabinet and will continue to tap test, but will stop turning.

It is going to be a long weekend
fl.gif

Tap tested again and left them out for a few minutes so I could feel the warm spots on the egg - Two that are moving no issues, but have not sounded - one sounded and warm spots, but I don't think this is a good egg.

4th one no movement and went cold quickly - so I opened it up. I had an embryo about the size of 1.5 inches -

dead in Shell between 20 - 27 days based on the pictures in the EMU Farmers Hand Book Vol 2.

Last edited:
Ok, so today is day 46 and this afternoon will start day 47.......when I went to turn the eggs they were shaking and rocking almost constantly so I didn't bother turning them. I've heard to stop between 3 and 5 days prior to hatch and they're due Monday. Soooooo, I'm done for now. All I have left to do is talk them out. Crazy excited.......
Not me I stop turning when I hear the chirping. Place your ear to the egg and tap it with a pen and you should hear something. It isn't going to be loud cause the bird is still in the egg, but loud enough for you to hear.

Tap tested again and left them out for a few minutes so I could feel the warm spots on the egg - Two that are moving no issues, but have not sounded - one sounded and warm spots, but I don't think this is a good egg.

4th one no movement and went cold quickly - so I opened it up. I had an embryo about the size of 1.5 inches -

dead in Shell between 20 - 27 days based on the pictures in the EMU Farmers Hand Book Vol 2.

Poor little one
sad.png

Yoda -- adorable pics! I hope they enjoy their outside time!

Kiril--
Quote:

fl.gif
I'll be thinking about you! It's like you're having triplets. One chick for each acre
wink.png
I hope everything goes smoothly!!!

Grassman --
Quote:
Good luck with those two...
That's so sad about the embryo...In those situations I try to persuade myself that there was something wrong with the chick genetically, and it's better to lose it before it hatches. Well that's what I tell myself! ...of course with finches the incubation time is only 12 days so there's not that feeling of long drawn-out anticipation.

Meanwhile -- I decided to drill a little hole in "Jim" the egg--
Nothing! Membrane was intact, but no embryo. Not even a pink tinge. That's so weird, I could have sworn that for a while there was an extra-warm area.
Well, "Jim" was the nicest egg of the 5, in terms of color / shape, so I've started scraping a design on the shell. I think I'll give this decorated egg to my husband, to say thank you for letting me try this crazy project!

Down to one last California egg...due early June.

<sigh>...discouraging... but my Society finches have decided to settle down and incubate, so there might be some little ones as soon as May 8th. Gotta get my chick fix
gig.gif
...it's just not spring without some kind of baby!

Back
Top Bottom