Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

OK - I am not sure without looking back through all the posts, but who ever suggested the drill bit to tap the eggs - great job.

I was able to hear the tone of an egg going rotten "china plate sound" - now I have one egg that has clearly internal piped (can hear the chick picking at the shell) - has its own sound - and my other egg that has not sounded has a third separate sound.

If nothing else I am learning a lot - thank all of you

Kiril749
That is the sound mine is making sounds like scratching and I can hear tapping - I was able to get a few quick peeps. Now the big question - once they start making this sound how long before they hatch?

I know, its consumed me for the past two weeks. Soooo, can anyone tell me now that I hear scratching how soon can I expect some real action. Lol

I find myself just hanging around to see if something will happen -

This is like the 6th time I've logged on today -- hoping to hear news!
fl.gif

So much suspense...maybe they should turn this into a reality show or something...

Last edited:
But that's exactly what we are, Avie! We have made our own Reality Show.

I am just about to post some photos celebrating five years at the farmhouse.

If I may suggest a pastime for egg-watchers:

do a little background research on when-the-egg-is-a-grown-bird. There’s a wealth of information here on BYC about fencing, diet, temperament, building a great pen, mating, handling/transporting, veterinary requirements, how to avoid splayed legs in chicks, etc. Surfing the old posts is fun and rewarding.

If you go to Youtube, you’ll find amazing stuff: eggs being laid, males sitting on clutches of eggs, wild chicks running around in the desert in Australia – chicks running around in the main streets of Denham in Western Australia!

S.E.

Last edited:
Ok, lets try once more for Grassman and myself......

We both have our emu eggs and we can hear scratching and crunching when held to our ear. Can anyone tell us what stage this is and how soon to expect them to pip and eventually hatch? I NEED TO KNOW SO I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT!!!!!!! 8 -)

OK - I am not sure without looking back through all the posts, but who ever suggested the drill bit to tap the eggs - great job.

I was able to hear the tone of an egg going rotten "china plate sound" - now I have one egg that has clearly internal piped (can hear the chick picking at the shell) - has its own sound - and my other egg that has not sounded has a third separate sound.

If nothing else I am learning a lot - thank all of you
lol.. that would have been me...

I love tapping with the drill bit because it gives you a clearer sound than most other pieces of metal

Ok, lets try once more for Grassman and myself......

We both have our emu eggs and we can hear scratching and crunching when held to our ear. Can anyone tell us what stage this is and how soon to expect them to pip and eventually hatch? I NEED TO KNOW SO I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT!!!!!!! 8 -)

that would be the "scratching and crunching" stage

seriously though.. if you can hear a sound kind of like crumbling up a damp-ish paper bag it means the membrane is starting to pull from the shell.. normally the membrane would be pulled somewhat tight.. once it starts to pull away from the egg it can make the rustling sound as the chick moves

the scratching is the chick moving into position to turn and pip

as to how long before pip.. it should be soon.. unfortunately the chicks can't read their watches in the dark
gig.gif
.. so they can't stay on a set schedule ..in other words.. he'll pip. when he pips!..

Back
Top Bottom