Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

went back and read the few days of posts - so my first egg has been chirping for 36 hours - I will say if the shell is not external piped by Friday I should drill a small air hole.

OK what's your thoughts?

one last check before bed and turned the balance of my eggs.

Egg 1: Chirping louder and more often - lots of movement
Egg 2: Egg sitting level - no chirping and air cell still colder than balance of egg - still moving well

one last check before bed and turned the balance of my eggs.

Egg 1: Chirping louder and more often - lots of movement
Egg 2: Egg sitting level - no chirping and air cell still colder than balance of egg - still moving well

Well good night, I hope you wake up to a surprise in the morning.....

Good Morning all.......5:00am update, nothing changed. Hahaha.......still hear the first egg chirping, a second egg scratching and the third egg rocking.......today is day 52.

So I've been going back in some old posts reading about when to consider drilling a little hole so the chick can breath. Some say if the chick sounds and hasn't pipped externally within 24 hours drill a hole.......yet others have said to wait 48 or even 72 hours.......I'd love everyone's opinions because I'm coming up on 24 hours of chirping. I'm not panicked, just wondering.......actually, I'm just trying to keep my mind occupied.......

The "Book" EFHvol2 says that 24 to 72 hours is normal - My little guy was over 48hours maybe more - MHO don't drill to early - your average temps may have been lower than you think at 96F -96.5 (55 - 56 days).

Day 55 first egg externally pip'd
wee.gif

Second egg moving but no sound of chirping

Last edited:
I have found that once the chick has sounded ( made the internal pip ) that it can last just fine in that egg until 3 days after.
On day 3 it's starting to run out of air and would need a tiny shallow hole drilled in the air cell end to give it all the air it needs.
After that, it can finish the job on it's own... as a rule.

The "Book" EFHvol2 says that 24 to 72 hours is normal - My little guy was over 48hours maybe more - MHO don't drill to early - your average temps may have been lower than you think at 96F -96.5 (55 - 56 days). Day 55 first egg externally pip'd:weee Second egg moving but no sound of chirping
Glad to hear egg 1 has made progress. So my first egg sounded one day after yours so maybe an external pip for me tomorrow. Ugh, I'm exhausted.......

I hear you - I took two vacations days - today and tomorrow - I have a lot of spring work to do around here - but the chicks hatching made staying home real easy.

Back
Top Bottom