Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

The most exciting thing going on here is I weighed my egg today and it's doing OK...
Hardly compares to what you guys are going through!

Here's a weird thought -- I wonder what the chicks are thinking about all this? Do they feel frustrated? Scared? Happy to be on their way?
Maybe they are as excited about joining their flock as you are about meeting them!

I read somewhere that many kinds of chicks call to each other while inside the egg to synchronize the hatching.

Oooh, a quick search pulled this up -- it's a PDF
Perinatal acoustic communication in birds
http://www.benthamscience.com/open/tooenij/articles/V003/SI0124TOOENIJ/141TOOENIJ.pdf

This paper didn't specifically mention emus, though.

Day 55 and we have our first baby Emu - Let me introduce you to Pogo
350g and very healthy - this baby is soooo big compared to the chickens - ducks - and geese I have been hatching

Last edited:
Day 55 and we have our first baby Emu - Let me introduce you to Pogo 350g and very healthy - this baby is soooo big compared to the chickens - ducks - and geese I have been hatching
Awe, Pogo is adorable. Ugh, I can't wait. Second day of egg 1 chirping......I'm hoping by tomorrow. Congratulations!!!

So we went to our sons spring concert and we came home to our first emu chick pipped. Whoohoo!!!!!!!

Congrats Grassman! A long wait you did LOL!
Do not throw away anything from the shell. Place it in a warm spot and let it air dry. Once it is dry into a zip lock bag and when the next hatches same thing. When they are all done put numbers on each bag and send them to be test for sexing. I send mine to www.zoogendna.com

Last edited:
Yoda
I have the shell drying and the order form all filled out - will ship out after my next set hatches (hopefully)

Day 56 for one egg still moving but not much more

Day 50 for 10 eggs - last I checked 7 out of 10 were moving - need to spend some time today and take weights.

Day 44 for 14 eggs - I dropped one tray holding 12 of these eggs (last week) - two cracked - still in the incubator

Good for you Grassman. I'm going to do the same.

So our pipped egg was singing all night. I expect he'll be out when I get home tonight. Our second egg is scratching and the third is still wiggling. It's day 53 so I'm holding out hope for the other two. How long do you think they can go? I haven't turned them in a few days.......I'm wondering if I should turn them again until they sound, or would that confuse them since they haven't been turned?

Back
Top Bottom