Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Here's my little guy outside running around - had him out yesterday in the sun - was walking like a drunken solder - today running like a pro - feet and legs look good.

I love this thread!
love.gif

went through the balance of my eggs and pulled all that were cold and showed no movement - Drilled and blown out - no live chicks (thank god)

Here's what I have left

1) -57 days old still moving
7) - 51 days old with two Pip'd internally and chirping - bal warm and moving
6) - 45 days old - all moving

Here's all the eggs that didn't make it

Last edited:
Here's what I have left

1) -57 days old still moving
7) - 51 days old with two Pip'd internally and chirping - bal warm and moving
6) - 45 days old - all moving

So that's 14 that are alive and kicking (15 counting Pogo!)
Out of how many total?

It would be interesting to do a summary of this thread -- how many hatch vs non-hatch, and describe the location the eggs came from, type of shipping, etc.

just lost the one that was 57 days old - it was mispositioned - tried to save it but it didn't make it.

Awe, sorry Grassman.......at least you tried to give him a chance. Good luck with the others.

I still have one chirping and one scratching. That's it for me. I started with four so I will be very happy with the one that has hatched and the two about to hatch. (Fingers Crossed)

Congrats on the hatches guys!!!!!
They grow really fast. Sorin my boy hatched first and Callisto I helped out of the egg 2 days later and there is like a 3-4 inch height difference between them.

Here is my weight for this week
Start: 457 grams = 15% loss of 68.55 total grams or goal weight of 388.45 grams at hatch
Wk 1: 440 grams = 17 grams lost
Wk 2: 428 grams = 12 grams lost
Wk 3: 416 grams = 12 grams lost

Avie’s idea – pooling statistics – is a good idea, I think (and another candidate for a 'standing-thread').

Guys, I’d be grateful to anyone who has bred/hatched a lot of emus, and can tell me anything about the ratio between males and females. (It has to do with figurin’ out the mating-dynamic of the wild birds.)

Supreme Emu
Western Australia

Good Morning All,

Now that my Emus have hatched and/or are hatching I need to finish up their living quarters. I've given them about 1/2 acre or more of open space and partial pine grove. I live in the Northeast just south of Boston. My question is are there any plants that are particularly dangerous for Emu? Also, what plantings could I add to give them a more natural and beneficial environment. Maybe this is the wrong thread but I really like all of the advice the seasoned emu keepers have been giving.

Thanks in advance........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom