Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Day 54/53

One egg externally pip'd this morning - should be out tonight. Next egg has been chirping for a few days, placed a small air hole in the end.
Last two still moving.

Yes the poop is adding up in the brooder - washed the blanket a few times and need to shop vac the area.

Spent the week-end getting the outside runs completed -need to put up the 2x4'' wire and put up the gate this week.  Will post some pics in a few says when complete - chick run is 24' x 54'. setup so I can use it for a breeding pen or for a Mom with her chicks.

My last batch of geese starting hatching this week-end - have 5 so far with 6 more externally pip'd  - 26 total.   Have a broody goose sitting on 12-15 eggs, can't wait to see the family together.

At the end of this month I need to shut down my incubators clean them and sell my stock :(

Can't hatch if I don't sell them

That's great. My last hatch is happening now. Cayugas and Sebastopols. What kind of geese are you hatching Grassman?

Ok, Tonight I have officially turned off the incubator. My lonely egg went stinky. So this year I got my pair
clap.gif

Grassman wait til all those babies start to grow LOL I cannot keep up with all the POOP! The bigger they get the more poop they do LOL
Best of luck on your hatch!!!!! I will post pictures soon
frow.gif

looks like all boys for me again this year...

Day 54/53

One egg externally pip'd this morning - should be out tonight. Next egg has been chirping for a few days, placed a small air hole in the end.
Last two still moving.

Yes the poop is adding up in the brooder - washed the blanket a few times and need to shop vac the area.

Spent the week-end getting the outside runs completed -need to put up the 2x4'' wire and put up the gate this week. Will post some pics in a few says when complete - chick run is 24' x 54'. setup so I can use it for a breeding pen or for a Mom with her chicks.

My last batch of geese starting hatching this week-end - have 5 so far with 6 more externally pip'd - 26 total. Have a broody goose sitting on 12-15 eggs, can't wait to see the family together.

At the end of this month I need to shut down my incubators clean them and sell my stock
sad.png

Can't hatch if I don't sell them

I have another goose egg due to hatch in a few days
already have embden, toulouse and sebastopols out.. waiting on my toulouse mix to finish up

I had over 40 chicks hatch out last week.. starting on the next batch today.. plus muscovy hatching out today and tomorrow. plus a ton of ancona duck eggs to go (and a few more batches of chickens and mandarins)..
my "micro cayuga" hatched last week too

then it will be shut down time for me.. long enough to clean everything and then fire them up for the summer hatches

Question about Zoogen - I can tell by the postal tracker that my egg shells have been delivered to the lab - Will they call me - fax me or do I wait for the forms????

Want to be sure I don't have all boys (like someone else)
idunno.gif

Tonight Emu # 9 & 10 hatched - That leaves only two eggs left - both doing well.

One the good side I hatched at least one chick from each place I purchased eggs from - this should allow for some unrelated breeding pairs down the road.

It's bitter sweet to watch those last two eggs twitching and waiting for then to hatch
pop.gif

Last edited:
Question about Zoogen - I can tell by the postal tracker that my egg shells have been delivered to the lab - Will they call me - fax me or do I wait for the forms????

Want to be sure I don't have all boys (like someone else)
idunno.gif

wait about 24 hours or so from when you see they received the samples.. then give them a call. If they are in the lab just leave a message (they always called me back ASAP)

I believe you can sign up for email notifications on the results.. you may want to ask.. but I seem to remember the woman there who was doing testing last year telling me to put my email addy on the form if I wanted notification that way.

but anyway.. calling is your quickest way to find out the results

Called them and gave them my e-mail - my samples where not dry enough - so it will take 1 extra day - will have results late tomorrow (5-15).

Just a note for everyone else - the women asked that all future samples be placed in a paper bag (not a zip lock as mine were).

Very nice and customer focused.

Called them and gave them my e-mail - my samples where not dry enough - so it will take 1 extra day - will have results late tomorrow (5-15).

Just a note for everyone else - the women asked that all future samples be placed in a paper bag (not a zip lock as mine were).

Very nice and customer focused.

I'm getting ready to send mine out and it's weird because it says right in their form to use a ziplock bag. Hmmmm.

Looks like my Emu season is at an end

Came home from work and number 11 hatched, but number 10 died in the brooder

Last egg is cold all over and stopped moving -

So here is the final numbers;

10 healthy chicks in the brooder

36 eggs purchased
12 hatched - 2 died within one day
2 full term never sounded
1 "mid-term" dead in shell
Balance - shipping damage - dropped while turning - not fertile

All I can say is - it was a great experience and I now have what I expected - around 30% hatch rate with a couple early deaths.

I will post when I get the testing results on sexing

Back
Top Bottom