Emu Hatch Along! :D

In the late spring the Emu ranch where I work will sell eggs that they are not going to incubate. If you can wait till then..... Contact me via message here. you can also go on ebay and get some but they are kinda expensive. about 40 to 60 per egg.
They eat pellets similar to chicken feed they are omnivorous like chickens they eat surprisingly little compared to their si
Hi, is the ranch willing to ship a few to South Miss?

DAY 25 UPDATE
I saw wiggles!!!!! in eggs C, A, and F!!!!!
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
Hopefully I can get it on tape soon!
wee.gif

I have 4 Emu eggs and have been researching how to hatch them. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 that successfully hatched many bantam and standard sized chickens last year, but I know that Emu's are a different critter :). I started the Emu's 7 days ago. I have the temp at 96 degrees, and since I read that they do not need as much humidity as chickens I am leaving the vent fully open. That also gives them more oxygen, and they are under a ceiling fan which also hopefully gives them better air circulation. Unfortunately I do not have anything to measure the humidity or to weigh the eggs, which I know will make a lot of you cringe. We shall see how it goes. I am giving the eggs a quarter of a turn in the same direction around 6 times a day (pretty much whenever I walk past it). Has anyone had any experience hatching Emu eggs in an Octagon 20?

The parents are a proven pair that a friend got from a petting zoo. She has had them for several years and they are super friendly and sweet!

I am open to any suggestions! Thanks!

How exciting about the wiggles! I watched some videos on Youtube of wiggles and I loved it! Praying mine eventually wiggle too.

Congratulations!!!!!

My emu just started laying, and as it is below freezing here at night I am bringing them inside and will incubate-first time. Only have 2 eggs so far but I turned on the cabinet bator to get it started to the right temp...
Hows the incubating going? Any more eggs laid?

How exciting about the wiggles! I watched some videos on Youtube of wiggles and I loved it! Praying mine eventually wiggle too.

Congratulations!!!!!
Thanks! I have a question, why did you choose that turning style? I have heard that its very important to alternate direction turning emu eggs, but everyone has their own system. Brinseas are really good I would expect it to work very well for the emus. One way to check water lost without scales is to let the egg sit out for 5 minutes and touch the fat end (air bubble end) there will be a cool spot in the shape of the air bubble and it will grow throughout incubation. If it gets big too quickly (thing about how a chicken egg's air bubble grows) then add more water, and vise versa

No particular reason for that turning style. It just seemed to make sense to me. Should I stop doing that? I hadn't read anything about how to turn them. One of the reason's I posted here...to get more info! What is the best method for turning them?

And thanks for the advice on checking the air bubble too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom