Emu Hatch - Will it Happen?

That is too funny. Men! :rolleyes: (Sorry guys!)Well, I may be single again when my bf finds out that I have 4 new emu eggs next week.:th

So, you are getting close to the time when you should be able to tell by look and maybe feel, if something is alive. The eggs should start to even out. Especially once it is ready to go into the air cell.

You might hear scratching noises when you put the air cell end to your ear, and eventually you will hear whistling and breathing once they’ve sounded or pipped internally.

When I drilled the safety holes, that’s when I knew for sure B was a dud, even though I didn’t want to face it lol. The egg cooled off very quickly when out of the incubator. It was cold. Whereas A stayed warm. btw B smelled just fine. Can you imagine after 60 days of heat? Lol I would never have guessed, and I was prepared for the worst when I cracked it.

Crossing my fingers for you!!

Ha! I had a weird feeling you couldn’t keep the emu incubator empty. And watch... you’ll get all 4 to hatch :rolleyes:

I held both eggs last night. Weight was good, but no wiggles. It really does feel like there’s something in both of them. Next week I will know for sure.

A question popped in my head yesterday. And made me think 🤔 what day will they actually be hatching?

The incubator they’re in is technically a still air incubator. I put a small fan ran on low, with a piece of cardboard in front of it to disperse air. It’s lightly moving air. So would it still be considered a still air incubator? If so, wouldn’t the incubating temp actually be lower? Chicken eggs are incubated at 101 to 101.5 in a still air. I’m running it at 98 degrees. So is it truly incubating at 96.5 to 97? Hmmm 🧐

Where did you get them from? I may not order some right away if these don’t hatch, but curious where people would get quality hatching eggs. When I google emu farms in Washington, not much comes up.

What type of incubator are yours going in again? Thinking about getting the small Brinsea cabinet incubator for next attempt. One that can rotate the eggs for me.

Where did you get them from? I may not order some right away if these don’t hatch, but curious where people would get quality hatching eggs. When I google emu farms in Washington, not much comes up.

What type of incubator are yours going in again? Thinking about getting the small Brinsea cabinet incubator for next attempt. One that can rotate the eggs for me.

The new batch is from Christoper Barth. I can give you his info if you’d like. He’s got a good reputation, and his eggs are reasonably priced.

I use the GQF 1502 incubator. I paid $350 used. Bought it from a show judge. I also have a NR 360, Brinsea Ovation 28, and a still air. I’d like to get the see through door for my GQF.

4 eggs arrived this morning. 2 are broken. One is in a pan being cooked right now. Technically a $100 breakfast... so not a good start for me either. They didn’t get held at the post office and went out on the delivery truck for a bit.

2 eggs to work with now. Going to start a March hatch along a little early so the emus can be included :p

Bummer! :(

But how do they taste?

VERY eggy tasting. It cooks much different than chicken or duck eggs. Leaves weird globs of gelatin here and there, even when fully cooked. Being so used to regular chicken eggs, almost didn’t like it. Dogs loved it though lol

Was not about to let an egg that size go to waste!

Back
Top Bottom