Emu Hatch - Will it Happen?

Day 43 and 39 currently. It does ease my mind a little and will test again tonight. Holding little bits of hope. My other half actually said he hopes one hatches. I couldn’t believe the text I was reading this morning... :eek:

He has a spare room in the house, and supposedly my spare room is the chicken coop?

He is off next week and will be giving me hatch updates while I’m at work. Last turn of E2 is this Sunday night. Last turn of E3 is Thursday next week.

'I’d like to ask you why you chose them to raise for your life'

Emus are hilarious people. I mean, you gotta have far far more space and time for them than most folks seem to think; but beyond that, emus are hilarious people

Supreme Emu

Day 43 and 39 currently. It does ease my mind a little and will test again tonight. Holding little bits of hope. My other half actually said he hopes one hatches. I couldn’t believe the text I was reading this morning... :eek:

He has a spare room in the house, and supposedly my spare room is the chicken coop?

He is off next week and will be giving me hatch updates while I’m at work. Last turn of E2 is this Sunday night. Last turn of E3 is Thursday next week.

LOL about the spare rooms. It’s about the same here. That’s awesome he is getting excited!

When you leave the eggs sit out for 5 minutes or so, are they cooling off or staying warm?

At first he was pissed that he may be baby emu sitting on his week off, but the mood has changed over the last few weeks. Now when he finds out about the 56 chicks hatching that week as well... will be interesting!

The air cell side is noticeably colder. The leaning side is warm. That’s why I think something is in them, dead or alive. The two eggs that went bad didn’t lean at all. They will NOT sit still on a flat surface have to turn them many directions just to get them to stay put. And not from wiggles!

That is too funny. Men! :rolleyes: (Sorry guys!)Well, I may be single again when my bf finds out that I have 4 new emu eggs next week.:th

So, you are getting close to the time when you should be able to tell by look and maybe feel, if something is alive. The eggs should start to even out. Especially once it is ready to go into the air cell.

You might hear scratching noises when you put the air cell end to your ear, and eventually you will hear whistling and breathing once they’ve sounded or pipped internally.

When I drilled the safety holes, that’s when I knew for sure B was a dud, even though I didn’t want to face it lol. The egg cooled off very quickly when out of the incubator. It was cold. Whereas A stayed warm. btw B smelled just fine. Can you imagine after 60 days of heat? Lol I would never have guessed, and I was prepared for the worst when I cracked it.

Crossing my fingers for you!!

Ha! I had a weird feeling you couldn’t keep the emu incubator empty. And watch... you’ll get all 4 to hatch :rolleyes:

I held both eggs last night. Weight was good, but no wiggles. It really does feel like there’s something in both of them. Next week I will know for sure.

A question popped in my head yesterday. And made me think 🤔 what day will they actually be hatching?

The incubator they’re in is technically a still air incubator. I put a small fan ran on low, with a piece of cardboard in front of it to disperse air. It’s lightly moving air. So would it still be considered a still air incubator? If so, wouldn’t the incubating temp actually be lower? Chicken eggs are incubated at 101 to 101.5 in a still air. I’m running it at 98 degrees. So is it truly incubating at 96.5 to 97? Hmmm 🧐

Any update?

Interestingly, as you and I both obsess over the eggs and weight loss.. a number of people in the FB groups say they never weigh the eggs. They keep 35% humidity, 97.5 Temp, and let them do their thing. I am thinking about trying this next time. Although, I’m not sure if I have it in me not to mother them LOL.

Wish your little guys would hurry up. I’m dying to see baby pics!

That almost sounds like a better way to do it. I get the weighing, but it almost seems like it’s interrupting them and their incubating.

Nothing from E2 yet. I stop turning it tomorrow night. It may be a dead baby. Hatch day should be Tuesday. E3 I swear wiggled the other night. But I keep telling myself it didn’t so I don’t get my hopes up :hmm that one I stop turning on Thursday.

So we shall see! I may try again if nothing happens, but might find someone closer to get eggs from. When do yours come in?

Back
Top Bottom