Emu Incubation Help (Emu Hatchers Please)

Look, as someone with a whole lotta experience hatching (and livestock rearing).... these dinos are a whole different genre of egg-hatching!

When the emu experts show up....
Temp was steady at 97-97.5. The two that have popped were on the tray above the other 3 in the cabinet... I believe the little bit of temp difference explains why those have popped and the others haven’t.

Humidity kept at 30-35.

Currently at beginning of day 53. All are wiggling & alive.
One that pipped shows some bleeding at site on the membrane, which I assume means he should chill and take his time. Looks great in there from what I can see when his beak pushes the membrane.

The other seems to have fast-tracked and is now out. Seems like a typical floppy new chick, only dino sized. 😂 Can’t see navel yet to check on y’all absolution.

If it were any other bird I would have kept temp higher for the last few days, but I kept these guys at 30%.

i don’t help any of my hatches, but these guys are an exception, I’d love advice on when to intervene as to not lose healthy chicks due to my novice emu hatching. 😉

Thanks!View attachment 2513577
OMG congrats!!!!

Look, as someone with a whole lotta experience hatching (and livestock rearing).... these dinos are a whole different genre of egg-hatching!

When the emu experts show up....
Temp was steady at 97-97.5. The two that have popped were on the tray above the other 3 in the cabinet... I believe the little bit of temp difference explains why those have popped and the others haven’t.

Humidity kept at 30-35.

Currently at beginning of day 53. All are wiggling & alive.
One that pipped shows some bleeding at site on the membrane, which I assume means he should chill and take his time. Looks great in there from what I can see when his beak pushes the membrane.

The other seems to have fast-tracked and is now out. Seems like a typical floppy new chick, only dino sized. 😂 Can’t see navel yet to check on y’all absolution.

If it were any other bird I would have kept temp higher for the last few days, but I kept these guys at 30%.

i don’t help any of my hatches, but these guys are an exception, I’d love advice on when to intervene as to not lose healthy chicks due to my novice emu hatching. 😉

**Update— Looks like some yolk still I absorbed, but hard to tell since he’s still in half of shell. 😣)

Thanks!

View attachment 2513577
Awesome! Look at that little guy😍

Haha, I’m not at all set up for emus. The fencing alone is higher then anything I have set up. Such a shame. I want one.Lol😆😆

Glad he made it out! The first one I ever hatched had a little bit of a bleeding belly. It closed right up in a few hours.

Ok! I just know it should be higher at lockdown so they don't dry out. What is the humidity currently at?

Humidity does not get raised at lockdown for emus :)

Glad he made it out! The first one I ever hatched had a little bit of a bleeding belly. It closed right up in a few hours.

Humidity does not get raised at lockdown for emus :)
Say what?!?! :th
Wow. Weird. Sorry for any confusion, y'all.
That's so crazy. You learn something new everyday I guess! How do they not dry out?

Say what?!?! :th
Wow. Weird. Sorry for any confusion, y'all.
That's so crazy. You learn something new everyday I guess! How do they not dry out?

You just leave it at around 35% like you do during most of incubation, and they do fine. Though some people do increase the humidity to around 50%, and that doesn't seem to hurt, either.

Thank you! I hope it closes up. I’m just going to keep him on wet paper towels in there to keep from sticking. 👍

(And yes, that’s why I really wanted emu experts to chime in. These are not the same as the other poultry I hatch out.... there is no “lockdown” when it comes to humidity, only in stopping the turning. 😊)

@Pyxis - One more question.... chick A seems much weaker than B (which hatched out this morning). Is there anything you do to boost them up at this early age, or just wait it out to see if strength increases?
He can hold his head up for a second, but if pretty floppy. Just want to make sure there isn’t something I should be doing at this point. 😊

Thank you very much!

@Pyxis - One more question.... chick A seems much weaker than B (which hatched out this morning). Is there anything you do to boost them up at this early age, or just wait it out to see if strength increases?
He can hold his head up for a second, but if pretty floppy. Just want to make sure there isn’t something I should be doing at this point. 😊

Thank you very much!

For now there's not much to do but wait. You could try to get a little Nutri Drench into him to give him a boost, but be careful as you don't want him to aspirate.

Prolly too late but, Dab belly buttons with flour to stop bleeding, the belly button needs to dry up, I would not damp cloth it. Congrats on babies.

Back
Top Bottom