Emu laid egg!

Fuzzybird1

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2013
After 8 years my emus laid an egg tonight for the first time. It's extremely cold, single digits. I brought the egg in the house for now as I was afraid it would freeze. What now?

Is it possibly fertile?? I do not have emus, and know little,,,, but do know they are quite expensive. A fertile egg would be worth incubating,

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don't know but we do have a pair. I do not have an incubator. I did not leave the egg outside as it is bitterly cold right now and I was afraid it would freeze. I was wondering if I should keep the egg inside and wait to see if more are laid before I give the male a chance to brood. Or do I frantically try to find an incubator? I'm not sure how expensive that is when I don't even know if the egg is fertile. I'm not sure what to do! Would the male brood if I actually put the eggs out with him?

They keep for quite awhile. If you want to keep pulling them inside until it's not freezing overnight, you could, and then put them back out to see if the male will sit.

Or you could find an incubator, but if you plan to incubate ALL your eggs, you're gonna need a big one!

If you don't want to hatch, you could try selling them as hatching eggs, or blow them out and sell the shells to artists.

I find it hard to believe the egg would be fertile as the birds never spend time together unless they are chasing each other. Some years back the female beat up the male pretty bad. But I don't really understand why, after all these years, she laid an egg! They have been here since 2013! Could it possibly be fertile?

Back
Top Bottom