Emu's have I lost my mind?

Probably going to get one egg or at least seriously considering it.
th.gif
6 hours??? What did they do when you tried to leave (if you did??)

caf.gif
oh one day when I have a farm. In the meantime please post the whole purchase and raising if you do decide to raise Emus so that I may live vicariously though you
big_smile.png

Ok sounds great ;
all the infor. on emu's That I've been reading about an I also been thinking on getting a pair "WHY I'M NOT SURE - WIFE THINKS I'M CRAZY NOW With Chickens - Turkeys -Quail - Goats - GoldFish -Koi -Iguanas - Rabbits -Dogs and so on "

I have or had everything else so why not Emu.
My 1st question is ;
is there anything that looks like the emu but on a smaller scale ,
5 ft. high and 100 -150 lbs with a kick that could hurt ya .........LOL
I have 3.5 acres which I could build a run 100' by 25' plus easily but I would like to keep my Pygmy goats in the same run even if I had to widen it up to 30 or 40" width.

And the 2nd. Question is ;
Why Emu ,
what do they do
I'm looking at them for Pets ONLY not for food
Are they good watch (dogs) like geese on ur farms
Tell me more

Alan

Aren't Rheas smaller than Emus? Like how an Emu is smaller than an Ostrich?
idunno.gif
They'd be a neat pet on theory, but I think Swans & Peacocks will be our only larger bird addition......& that'll take TONZ of buttering up Hubby if we ever add them to our growing farm... I couldn't imagine anything larger.
ep.gif
Love seeing the pictures tho.
ya.gif

Quote:
My Emu serve as entertainment as well as livestock guardians. They protect their "flock" and anything they have not been exposed to is a threat and they will stomp it. So when introducing new animals it is best to keep them separated for a little while until the emu know they belong to the flock now. But this helps when stray dogs , cats etc.. cross the property. They are not from the flock so they must be chased off, neighbors cat just makes it over the fence with his tail..... hehe. If brought up and exposed to people I have no issue with them being aggressive to people at all, in fact they don't understand what personal space is and are all over you looking at all the shiny things. Shiny and colorful things attract them like fleas to a dog, so watch earrings, jewelry, glasses, buttons, nails, screws etc... they will try and eat it.
When raised from very young they act like big goofy loving dogs, they love the water, they love to be in the middle of anything you are doing etc.... Mine get along with all the other critters just fine, they were raised with most of them. They do like to pinch the pigs nipples and try and peck the horses halter hardware.... but they learned that was not acceptable. They are not the brightest match in the box by far, but they sure are amusing.

7205_diaper_emu.jpg

7205_jazztatdoor1.jpg

7205_jazzyseyes.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Anybody see the Discovery channel show about "Terror Birds"? Much larger head/beak (think Macaw shape), huge size, and bird brain- I know there have been days that I would have been prey if my chickens had been that size...

Seriously- do they need companions of their own breed or is a solo emu happy with the rest of the barnyard flock?

A single emu can be happy with other animals, especially if raised up with them from a chick. My one, Jazzy, pictured above is more a loner when it comes to the other emu. He was raised up by himself for the first month before I got another, and although he is friends with Merlin, he prefers the other animals and us. I tried to get a girl for him, but he doesn't like her... but Merlin has bonded with her. Jazzy still spends most of his time with us and the zebu, goats, mini horses, llama, alpaca, horses, donkey, GP's, and fowl.

An emu is full grown at around 18 months, standing about 6 feet with its head raised.

I have only heard my emus hiss when they are fighting. (I have been priveleged to see wild emus fight just four or five yards outside my back fence. They are far far more agile and powerful than you might suppose. They are breathtakingly fast.)

There used to be two pygmy emu species, but they were rapidly driven to extinction upon settlement.

Mark Blair

Back
Top Bottom