Emus need rehoming

Shannonmeans

Songster
13 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Brazoria, Tx
Hello all! It has been brought to my attention that there is a flock of emus composed of breeding pairs and some adolescents in California that need rehoming. I spoke with the lady who has them and she says that they must go to new homes as soon as possible to avoid being sold to the exotic meat market. She told me that she wants $175.00 per breeding pair or $50.00 per adolescent. She is willing to take any reasonable offer into consideration though because she wants them to go to pet or breeder homes as she hatched most of them out herself and hand raised them and alot of them are very sweet cuddlers. This is an excellent opportunity to get some really good breeding stock for reasonable prices. It also gives some sweet animals another chance at a good life. There are also some really good Black Copper Marans available for really cheap prices. I will post an ad in the buy ,sell and trade section with contact info and pictures. Thanks, Shannon

More info! The ostriches are leaving Monday! Yea!!! Of the emus there are 20 adults and 21 adolescents. They are mostly cuddle bugs. She loves them. Of the adults there are 6 or seven males and 13 or 14 females.Good for trios. Of the adolescents there are 21. About 50/50 males to females, good for pairs. She cannot ship these. If you are interested, give me a holler and I will hook you up. Thanks, Shannon

Shannon, I saw this post yesterday and although I don't have personal experience with raising emus, I have the land space and I believe I might be able to give two of the emus a good home. I am in Northern California, so she is a bit of a drive away but I think I can make the trip. Trying to contact the lady who owns the emus through Craigslist gave me a notice saying the ad has been deleted, even though I can look it up and see it right now. Is there any way that you could get me in touch with her so I might be able to ask her some more questions about keeping emus? I have been fascinated with emus for quite some time and hope that I might have the proper living arrangements to give a couple a good home. I would hate to see these sweet birds end up as food.

Many thanks

Faith

Yay! The emus are slowly starting to find new homes. There are still many more to choose from. If you can find it in your heart to give any of them a home, give me a holler and I'll give you the info to go get your very own!

After gaining helpful information and advice from Carole as well as doing hours of online emu research, I am sad to say that I don't have the right type of home for adopting emus where I live right now.
hit.gif

I adore emus for their uniqueness, beauty and curious personalities and I wish I could provide a loving home for some of Carole's beautiful young emus, but for some reason I didn't realize that emus had to be penned all the time - I thought they could be let out of their pen/pasture during the day to free-range and have fun and be herded back in at night. Not so! At least that is what I have heard from anyone not living on 500 acres of ideal pasture land for the birds. There are so many trees here and although the total land space I live on is more than enough for a couple of emus, there are so many rare plants and tiny fruit trees that the emus would happily eat (which I also did not know until today) and the amount of land for a large pen/small pasture which could be fenced is just not enough for them to be happy.

Maybe I can still help Carole out though - I know a few bird enthusiasts around this area in California and with Carole's permission will join the effort to search and find kind owners with good homes for her emus. Thank you so much Shannon for your help, although I sadly cannot keep emus where I am located right now, I will begin the search for good people who can offer them wonderful homes!

If anyone else reading this thread might be wondering, Carole is a very kind and knowledgeable lady who completely and thoroughly answered any question I asked about her emus. From all the pictures I have seen and from chatting with Carole, her emus are the prettiest and healthiest emus I have heard of in all of California! If you meet the requirements of giving a few a great home and want to get started, now is your chance!

I hope they all find good homes and I will do my best to try and find great people who will adopt them.

Faith

Back
Top Bottom