Enclosing coop for winter

I would also like to add that the above method allows ample air flow which can also be varied as needed by unsnapping a corner of one or more panels and can also be easily removed on unseasonable warm days. I live at the coast and the nightly lows average in the low to mid 30s only dipping to the teens a few nights a year but coastal areas are a cold damp and windy....cuts right to the bone!
Sounds like a viable design plan...but as junebuggena suggests, you also need 24/7 ventilation that is protected from the weather. I know you mentioned being able to unsnap a few to open, but that might lead to a flapping piece of plastic.

Which 'coast' do you live on, State of....??
Got pics of your coop and run?

Sounds like a viable design plan...but as junebuggena suggests, you also need 24/7 ventilation that is protected from the weather. I know you mentioned being able to unsnap a few to open, but that might lead to a flapping piece of plastic.

Which 'coast' do you live on, State of....??
Got pics of your coop and run?
NC coast. As far as ventilation issues....if you have ever been on a boat with an enclosed captain's area, the enclosure is snapped to the boat frame. it is not airtight nor stuffy. It allows good ventilation while blocking wind/rain/snow while providing protection from extremely frigid temps. On nice days with more moderate temps, the top or a corner could be unsnapped on one or more panels, tucking the unsnapped section to the inside against the hardware cloth.

Last edited:
Have a backup plan if it doesn't breathe enough. Coops need a lot more ventilation than human environments typically provide. Chickens produce a ton of moisture and ammonia overnight. Without adequate airflow to exhaust that bad air and bring in fresh, you end up with respiratory illness and possible frostbite. You need about 1 sq ft of permanent ventilation per bird.

Last edited:
Really nice coop. Here are just a few observations/thoughts.
You are in Texas, so severe cold is not issue. I personally would not block any ventilation, except maybe during severe weather like hurricane. Temporarily as well, until it passed. I see the roost is well below the vents, so that is ideal. Only thing to avoid is direct wind and drafts. Gentle air movement to vent the air and moisture is what is sought after. As long as the chickens feathers are not ruffled by air movement, that is the goal. Is the open eves area protected with hardware cloth? Raccoons are everywhere in our nation, and I see them entering thru there with no sweat. Yes, they can chew hardware cloth , but not likely to devote that much effort and they will move on to something easier.
As to dogs, you may consider some like mine from my Iditarod Team.
View attachment 1177697
Both are RESCUES. They get along with my cats as well. :)
WISHING YOU BEST......:thumbsup
You know, when I was living in Alaska I never saw Iditarod dogs quite like yours, but with super insulated snowsuits and lots of tasty treats, I'll bet they could finish the entire race ... tucked inside a heated and fully enclosed sled! :lau

Really nice coop. Here are just a few observations/thoughts.
You are in Texas, so severe cold is not issue. I personally would not block any ventilation, except maybe during severe weather like hurricane. Temporarily as well, until it passed. I see the roost is well below the vents, so that is ideal. Only thing to avoid is direct wind and drafts. Gentle air movement to vent the air and moisture is what is sought after. As long as the chickens feathers are not ruffled by air movement, that is the goal. Is the open eves area protected with hardware cloth? Raccoons are everywhere in our nation, and I see them entering thru there with no sweat. Yes, they can chew hardware cloth , but not likely to devote that much effort and they will move on to something easier.
As to dogs, you may consider some like mine from my Iditarod Team.
View attachment 1177697
Both are RESCUES. They get along with my cats as well. :)
WISHING YOU BEST......:thumbsup
Thanks. The bottom and door are hw cloth and welded wire. The top vents have hw cloth. There is a trap door on a cable to below. I have 20 feet of roost, 2 nesting buckets, a light, and clock radio to make predators hear voices. I have a 5 gallon bucket of feed piped to the feeder below. I’m still struggling with a good watering system, but I’ll figure it out.

I hear poodles actually make pretty decent sled dogs.

if you have ever been on a boat with an enclosed captain's area, the enclosure is snapped to the boat frame.
Yeah, but boat captains(and their crews) don't poop on the floor there. ;)
Coops need a lot more ventilation than human environments typically provide. Chickens produce a ton of moisture and ammonia overnight.

NC coast. As far as ventilation issues....if you have ever been on a boat with an enclosed captain's area, the enclosure is snapped to the boat frame. it is not airtight nor stuffy. It allows good ventilation while blocking wind/rain/snow while providing protection from extremely frigid temps. On nice days with more moderate temps, the top or a corner could be unsnapped on one or more panels, tucking the unsnapped section to the inside against the hardware cloth.
Sounds like pretty cool idea. Cost effective considering the ability to reuse the enclosure. NC coast, eh? I chillax in Hatteras every year. Love it there...laid back, great peeps and no crowds.

Yeah, but boat captains(and their crews) don't poop on the floor there. ;)
LOL....I wouldn't put it passed some of them! I free range during the day so the coop won't be closed up 24-7. I also clean and remove droppings every day.

Back
Top Bottom