Ended Official BYC Mini-contest - Tell us your funniest chicken story and win!

I was with my chickens outside (like usual) when I dropped my gum that I was chewing. One of the chickens ran over to me and ate it thinking that it was food. She looked like she just ate a golf ball and was having a hard time swallowing it. Afterwards, I was in their coop replacing their bedding and saw a huge poop
1f4a9.png
with a piece of gum in it. The same piece of gum that fell out of my mouth.
1f631.png
1f602.png

We were new chicken farmers and we acquired a hen with seven eggs to add to our 12 adopted chickens. My daughter, who was five at the time, patiently waited in the coop for each egg to hatch. She new each chick individually and got to know their individual characteristics including their bad habits as they grew into adults. There was one in particular that had a very rude habit as "he" got older. He was always pecking at the other chickens and trying to get piggy back rides. (For obvious reasons unknown to my 5 year old). My daughter informed me that his name was Mr. Pecker (sounds like Mr.Pecko) because he was always pecking at the other chickens. Because she is five her "er" is not well defined and as she was having a deep conversation with our family dentist, Dr. Dan, she told him about her favorite chicken (Mr.Pecko). He asks her if she said Mr. Pickle? She says no (Mr. Pecko). He asks again, Mr.Pickles? No, she replies. Dr. Dan gives me a questioning look and I am forced to say "his name is Mr. Pecker". And of course I had to explain Mr.Pecker's bad habits in detail to justify why my 5 year old daughter named her rooster Mr. Pecker. It brought Dr.Dan and his hygentist a good laugh and they of course ask about Mr.Pecker at every visit. Mr.Pecker is now 5 years old and the most gentle rooster we know. His name no longer fits his personality!

I was doing my morning chicken chores and found one of my hens had come home with her single baby chick. I was so excited to see them and photograph their first day foraging. When I turned around there was Miss Chief! She had been missing for several weeks and I thought fell to a predator! But low and behold she had been sitting on a nest of 13! Here she came with all her babies! I was blown away!

My chickens startle easily, so I'm always saying to them, don't be a chicken (i.e. scared), oh wait, you are chickens! always gets me laughing…..

I've been raising chickens since 2010. I also have a cat. My cat had kittens & one was drinking from the water dish in the Herb garden where the hens were allowed to free range. One of the hens came to drink from the same bowl, or so I thought. Instead of drinking, the hen spit at the kitten. The kitten ducked & looked at the hen then went back to drinking. The hen spit again & the kitten took off running. wish I had had a video of it.

i. have two. first one is of my gold laced polish. when she was a chick she would peck the cardboard brooder one day i heard her start freaking out and thought she was hurt low and behold she pecked the cardboard and got her beak stuck Cx it was funny. the other is of an appenzeller spitzhauben who i swear has her head screwed on wrong. if i let them out free ranging she runs out,turns in circles then stops and looks around like she forgot what she was doing then she will go eat

Each morning after dropping my son off at school, I get my coffee cup and go outside and sit and have some quality time with my chickens. So, one morning last month, Opal (my "top of the pecking order" buff orpington) jumped up on my lap and was looking long and intently into my eyes. I just imagined she was thinking about how much she loved me for feeding and caring for her... when all of the sudden... KABLAM! She pecked me right in the eyeball. Apparently, she saw a sleeper in my eye that looked like it might be tasty.

This just happened to me last week: I went out one night to do my normal check to make sure all of my chickens made it into the coop at night. I noticed 2 hens decided to roost up on the coop roof. I needed to get them down so that they stayed safe. Well, I managed to get myself stuck on top of the coop roof and had to stay up there until my daughter finally came out to save me with a ladder. That is AFTER she stopped laughing at me!

One sunny fall afternoon, the chickens were free ranging as usual, when a flapping noise was heard just outside the door. We wondered what the noise was, but assumed it was chicken related. We had no idea what was to come. When the door was opened we saw one of our hens, but we didn't then know what her intentions were. At the first opportunity, the chicken dashed inside the house, seemly desperate to see what was inside. The wild chase that ensued was insane. It's all a blur, but I do remember that the rouge chicken was finally caught underneath a bed.

My Mom and I took my husband's mean d'Anvers rooster to be processed last spring along with a bunch of excess roosters and my broilers. Somehow the little guy managed to get loose and was running around the barnyard crowing his fool head off when we went back to pick up my other birds. I told the farmer to not worry about him since he wasn't going to be much of a meal anyway. I figured he wouldn't last long in a new place without a coop to go into.
This fall rolls around and DH and I took our turkey to the same place to be processed. As we pulled in I look into the pasture by the road and low and behold, there is the little rooster running with about 30 hens! DH jumps out of the car and runs to the fence, the rooster runs from the other end of the yard to the fence and they meet up like long lost best friends. I went to check in with the farmer and commented about rooster being in with all the hens. He got a big grin on his face and said "he likes it in there".
DH can't wait to go up next spring to see how his little guy is doing.

Back
Top Bottom