English Ixworth rooster

There are 4 chicks hatched so far. One of chick hatched more than 24 hours so I have no choice, but remove from the incubator. I think the chick has pea comb. It is too hard to tell what color of the leg will be until next 1-2 weeks.
I am not sure why this information has not been given yet, but there is absolutely no chance of your F1 chicks to have blue/dark shanks.

You see white/yellow shanks are due to the sex linked dominant dermal inhibitor(Id), for blue/Slate shanks you need id+(and the white skin autosomal dominant gene W+)

Your rooster is Id/Id your hens are id+/- the F1s will be Id/- for the pullets and Id/id+ for the cockerels

I am not sure why this information has not been given yet, but there is absolutely no chance of your F1 chicks to have blue/dark shanks.

You see white/yellow shanks are due to the sex linked dominant dermal inhibitor(Id), for blue/Slate shanks you need id+(and the white skin autosomal dominant gene W+)

Your rooster is Id/Id your hens are id+/- the F1s will be Id/- for the pullets and Id/id+ for the cockerels

The pea comb also seem to be dominant as well. I am going to have fun with this project. My hope they are growth faster, meatier, and tastier in 5 months.

There are 4 chicks hatched so far. One of chick hatched more than 24 hours so I have no choice, but remove from the incubator. I think the chick has pea comb. It is too hard to tell what color of the leg will be until next 1-2 weeks.
View attachment 2279655
View attachment 2279656
They can stay in the incubator for 3 days, they have the yolk absorbed to live off of. That's why they can ship them.
but I usually take them out when I can.

They can stay in the incubator for 3 days, they have the yolk absorbed to live off of. That's why they can ship them.
but I usually take them out when I can.
I usually don't like to leave the chick in the incubator more than 2 days. I did integrate the chicks to the broody Bresse hen couple hours ago. Will find out tomorrow morning if the integration workout.

I am excited to have a block of 19 chicks. It is not bad to get 19 hatched out of 20 eggs. They are currently with the White Bresse hen. She is going to be very busy mom with the 19 chicks. They are temporary in the large dog carrier to restrict the hen moving around too much. The weather here 55-60F last night. I have a raised shipping box coop and they are going to be move under the coop area by the end of next week.
GEDC0362.JPG

Last edited:
Since the hen stepping on the chick in the dog carrier, I was forced to move them to larger area underneath the box coop on Monday 8/10. It is little cold at night, but they are doing ok. Here is a photo of them at 1 week old.
GEDC0374.JPG

Last edited:

Nicalandia,
Here are few photos relate to the shank.

Breworth_WBS7.JPG

Breworth_WBS8.JPG

Breworth_WS2.JPG

Brewoth_WBS5.JPG

GEDC0419.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom