English Mastiff vs French Mastiff

peeps7

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
North Carolina
I have been doing my research on mastiffs and french mastiffs lately, for I plan to get one around Christmas time. However, I am completely torn between a French Mastiff and an English Mastiff. I love the size of the English Mastiff but I love the face of the French Mastiff, its a little more bulldoggish, lol. I think I am leaning more towards an English Mastiff just because thats what I first fell in love with. I have thought about asking my byc friends for several days now but didn't ask because I thought I could figure it out myself but I haven't been able too, lol. So if ya'll could, pick which one you'd rather have and why, that would be great
smile.png
Thanks!!!

English... 100% My Olde English Mastiff "Isabeua" was the sweetest most gentle giant ever.. I miss her soo much sometimes its unbearable.. She was jsut amazing ...

Aww I'm sorry to hear you lost her
sad.png
But I think thats what I'm going to get, I found a breeder in Georgia who has some very lovely Old English Mastiffs.
smile.png

FRENCH MASTIFF aka DOGUE DE BORDEAUX!!! They're fantastic. We had one but sadly we lost her to bufo or cane toad poisoning last year. Do make your selection carefully though as they are known for certain health issues, demodex being one of them. Buy from a reputable breeder through AKC's site is what I would recommend, or try the Dogue de Bordeaux rescue site at http://www.ddbsarescue.org/

English! I got my first one when she was 4 months old... and she surprised me by having kind of a "bully" face as well... it just doesn't come across in her pics. I also like her because she has less wrinkles and is a gentle giant... she is a wonderful dog and watches over my flock for me.
smile.png

Maya... 11 months old... about 120 pounds...
61023_img_0030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I highly recommend them to everyone.. When she was given to us she was pregnant ( no one knew , even the breeder) and she welped 4 pups, one was sadly crushed becasue said breeder refused to allow me to keep them during nursing(she promptly gave them to me to raise after the first death) the other three gre to be AMAZINGLY gentle and kind dogs , they all played with my 4lb long coat chihuahua.. Being soo very careful not to hurt her... They truly were the only big dogs ive ever had that KNEW they were big dogs and had to be easy...
Isabuea was my Heart but sadly cancer took her from us.. I worked at a vets office at the time and they literally had to close the office for thier lunch hour so we could all greive when we had to put her down... Even the DRs were crying with us .. That dog truly was my soulmate, I layed in my bedroom floor with her for 6 weeks everynight so the babies didnt get squished and she and I would snore in unison (or atleast that what my folks said) ... Dang im crying now just thinking about her .. Go for the English you wont regret it....

What about Bullmastiff? We are getting one of those someday. The english are too mellow for me. The personality of french and english are quite different so depending on what you have in mind it may help you descide. My friends english female is actually not that big, and she literally only moves off the couch to go outside or eat. Kinda boring to me, I am not exaggerating. Im sure many arent as slothfull as her!

That was my concern, was the laziness, lol. CoopCrazy, would your girl play with you if you wanted her too? Have you thought about getting another one? I know sometimes thats a tender thing is too get the same kind of dog after you've had one that you loved so much.

lasergrl, Bull Mastiff's are very awesome dogs, lol. I would consider one of those as well, at least I have it narrowed down to a type of dog, hehe
smile.png

Mine will play, run, go hiking with me etc... she isn't THAT lazy, she just is mellow, not all hyper like a border collie or something. If you want her to stand still she will. But she LOVES to go to dog beach and go run and play for a few hours!
big_smile.png

ALSO, there is a REALLY good English Mastiff forum here... http://www.worldmastiffforum.com/

I've
learned a ton from there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom