What would be easier, and would this actually work?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I'm thinking way ahead as the birds I'd use are just itty bitty babies right now-
But I've got bbs jersey giants.
(Splash wouldn't be included in this potential project since i don't believe they'd work.)
I've also only got 1 splash.
But for the others, I've got 3 blues and 2 blacks.
If I did end up with an odd ratio of hens and roos I can and will hatch more. (My nana has a whole flock of blue jerseys for egg purposes.)
-
Getting to the point, I'm getting chocolate english orpington chicks sometime friday. And I thought about this, could I make Mauve and Chocolate jerseys using the black and blue jerseys with the english orpingtons?
I haven't seen chocolate jerseys let alone mauve, is that color a project for others or has it never been achieved. 🤔.
I thought about just making my own chocolate and maybe english orpingtons but I figured type would be harder to achieve-
I guess I'll ask- Am I right? Or would be equally hard or easier to make english orpington type?
-
And of course, would this even work at all?
-
(Some of my nanas jerseys for parent reference)
I'll try and get pictures of the english orpingtons parents shortly.
IMG_20240210_123818829.jpg

IMG_20240210_123611093.jpg
IMG_20240210_123448699.jpg

Waiting for pics of the Orpingtons
She told me they wouldn't cooperate but she tried to take some good ones.
She works at a dairy farm delivering calves to people all day and doesn't get back until it starts getting dark, so she snapped the best she could before it got dark.
This is what she managed to get:
received_409067351778672.jpeg
received_696954602324937.jpeg

Only one she got of the roo was blurry:
received_1441437706792761.jpeg

Attachments

• received_1441437706792761.jpeg
    received_1441437706792761.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
So the “Jersey Giants” you have appear to be hatchery type.
You could easily create pullets with the same type with chocolate and muave coloring by crossing a chocolate Orpington cock with some blue hens, but unless you bred them up to size and created a strain of chocolate and muave birds that are 8-13 lbs, they wouldn’t be Jersey Giants, they would just be chocolate and muave birds with the shape of a hatchery Jersey Giant.
This is fine, it’s just you wouldn’t be creating a new variety of Jersey Giant.
Now, if you bred the Orpingtons to the English standard, you could eventually achieve it with a little inbreeding. This would be faster to achieve than chocolate Jersey Giants but would still take a long time. It would be a lot of work but since these birds are already related and much closer to the standard than the “Giants” it would be less work than that.

So the “Jersey Giants” you have appear to be hatchery type.
You could easily create pullets with the same type with chocolate and muave coloring by crossing a chocolate Orpington cock with some blue hens, but unless you bred them up to size and created a strain of chocolate and muave birds that are 8-13 lbs, they wouldn’t be Jersey Giants, they would just be chocolate and muave birds with the shape of a hatchery Jersey Giant.
This is fine, it’s just you wouldn’t be creating a new variety of Jersey Giant.
Now, if you bred the Orpingtons to the English standard, you could eventually achieve it with a little inbreeding. This would be faster to achieve than chocolate Jersey Giants but would still take a long time. It would be a lot of work but since these birds are already related and much closer to the standard than the “Giants” it would be less work than that.
I worried about that- I'm new to the jersey breed i just know my nana has them, all came from tsc overtime. So definitely hatchery birds.
I'll definitely go towards orpingtons then, i prefer that breed anyways. 😂.
I'm aware it'll take time.

Back
Top Bottom