English Partridge

I never heard of english partridge. We, the dutch call brown=asian partridge and duckwing=bankiva partrdige when you translate it directly.
Never heard the word "english" used for "low" quality (for the purists, not me), so I wonder which english breed has this color?

Quote:
It's not an official name. It was meant to distinguish this color from regular Bankiva Partridge, which the English and British call Partridge (which even though may be genetically the same is visually distinct from this) and American Partridge (which you might know as concentric laced red or multiple laced red). And so, the confusion began when the genetics of this color tried to be figured out. It is not actually represented by any breed (until now.... ). It hopefully will not cause any more confusion (until a few decades from now when the breed is establish and somebody has it exported to England...
gig.gif
I might try to figure out something that won't cause alot of verbal grief to our ancestors!

Quote:
A lot of breeders experiment.... You just might not know of it happeing. Right now i am trying to lock down two breeds for one project (that i need to cross with one of my current breeds) i am guessing this project well take 10+ years to get where i want. I am also locking down another breed to create a colour in a certain breed that is not yet seen in the world (that i know of)

Ohnestly the pullet here looks like a poor coloured gold duckwing.

I think we do not need another breed of bantam. I am thinking a large fowl would be better. Then again, when you get 40+cm of snow in under 10 hours, winter hardy birds are needed.

Quote:
A lot of breeders experiment.... You just might not know of it happeing. Right now i am trying to lock down two breeds for one project (that i need to cross with one of my current breeds) i am guessing this project well take 10+ years to get where i want. I am also locking down another breed to create a colour in a certain breed that is not yet seen in the world (that i know of)

Ohnestly the pullet here looks like a poor coloured gold duckwing.

I think we do not need another breed of bantam. I am thinking a large fowl would be better. Then again, when you get 40+cm of snow in under 10 hours, winter hardy birds are needed.

Okay, so I have 1 vote for (S/S, Ar/ar+) and half a dozen votes for straight Gold Duckwing. I 'll take that as probably correct. Of, course, the truth does lie in this hen. Maybe I'll come to find that she is different from any color that has been suggested, but I'll know for certain what the true answer is when I have her bred. At least I know what to breed her to.

You're right, the poultry world is up to it's neck in bantams. But your last statement is even more true: There are so few hardy birds. That's why I want a good hardy bantam that can take a good punch here in a cold Canadian winter, and that is very broody. I have a thread about my efforts and for others to talk about their efforts of stewardship and stewardship breeding, it's link is right below this post.

The Bow Lake bantam is coming...

Back
Top Bottom