English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

So far it appears to be a good outlook for the pup.
Will his friendship with your son be a problem later?
Scott

Negative, He will be defending site that is entirely within 300 yards of core (house with yard) plus a few extensions beyond that. Major kid-interaction area within that should not compromise reaction time as it places dogs near center of area where stock kept. If dog failed to respond by not leaving core, then that would be a problem but conditioning already under way to get him out and he is doing it well. I am taking him multiple times day and night to get pup to recognize whole area as his. It is the conditioning part that with respect to area to be defended that many inexperienced users of LGD's have problems with and makes good genetics useless. At work a few years back we went through an entire crop of LGD's that failed to get out and protect research stock because they were not conditioned to move out from core area and stay with stock. That was a problem even with herds that were still in sight of the barn area. Subsequent dogs where better kept to prevent orienting only on core / barnyard area although I do not think managers understood what they did to do better with later efforts. The problematic dogs did get to much puppy loving from students IMO involving use of treats and the like. Mine do not get such when on duty as duty is fun in itself.

Early this morning just before dawn pup got closest experience so far to predator action. A Great-horned Owl was hunting pen area getting chickens to make the funky alarms they make for owls. Based on location of owl it was targeting rodents (voles) but still within poultry yard. It had to go. Pup did not know about owl directly but did see Lucy get into action. I provided encouragement.

One additional event yesterday evening. We may have had a close call with a weasel in the fin. Lucy into something that moved fast and escaped by going through rodent boroughs, Need to make certain Ben has his parvo shot. Parvo infection was expensive last time and think we got it from a mink caught in same location.

Two Dogs Came By This Morning

A Pitbull cross (intact male) and a German Shepherd / Hound cross (female) came by early this morning providing pup opportunity to witness how such strangers are to be treated. Lucy ran at them bouncing with tail up making growling sounds while pup oriented on them but stayed back with me. Either dog could have killed pup in seconds so pup did good. Lucy was able push interlopers off through display while not getting within 30 feet of either dog. Pitbull cross had size advantage on Lucy but Lucy had home turf and unknown threat of pup as wildcard. Pup then went back to check on his chickens.

Dogs in this case not apparent threats to poultry as they trotted quickly through neighbors flock without even looking at birds. We have seen these dogs before.

I'm sorry to hear that Scoob is gone, I missed out (if it was said) what happened ... I have read the entire thread of when you got him as a pup, then added Lucy.

Looks like Ben is adjusting just fine to his new home, and I'm sure he will be up to the job in a year or so ... having a trained dog to help train him makes it not only better/easier for you, but ... I think they (dogs) learn better and faster when "dog" is spoken, body language they understand quickly!

I am learning at this as I go. Pup is already running loose at night with chicks on the ground without mishap. Pup has yet to kill a chicken which has me off balance relative to past break in periods. Lucy is proving to be an exceptional leader, even better than Scoob. That even when considering she was much more problematic with chickens during her training phase than Scoob was. This pup is not very good at jumping ditches but runs neck and neck with my 2 year old daughter when comes to learning how not to touch electric fence. Both got zapped this morning.

Pup got it first. Both still go to fence. Dog needs to respect but not be afraid of fence. I know it hurts but will purposely take zaps in a pinch and expect dog to do same. This evening daughter started laying boards and sticks on fence just like brother did a couple years back. I wonder if that is instinct?

Back
Top Bottom