English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jul 25, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great stuff!

2. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good to see Lucy learned Scoobs role in getting help! Will pup take over the lead role when older?
    Scott

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think that as a male he will eventually take lead but that is 2 years out.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He might, but I was thinking the same a Scott.....great that Lucy is taking the lead for now and helping to 'train' the pup.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We have a potential story building. Two "dogs" that are apparently siblings (one male and one female) have been going by each morning just before I depart from work. They have been around since at least last spring and Scoob with Lucy's help pushed them off very well tom they would not come withing 200 yards of our property boundary. With Scoob gone they come within a 100 feet of property but move faster when Lucy challenges them. Male is roughly Lucy's weight and he sasses back from a distance and even gives me some lip. They go through neighbors flock but cause no problems. Gate of both dogs is a bit odd when pressed to go faster than a walk. I suspect they are half coyote although they appear to be pets. I will try to get pictures of these guys. In some ways I wish they were on our team as they are very well suited for dealing with coyotes and foxes in much the same manner Scoob used to be.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ben (pup) still does not know what a hawk is or that it is a threat. Yesterday a male Coopers Hawk Came in chasing songbirds and riled chickens in the area hawk operated and to a lesser extent chickens elsewhere. Lucy was not able to locate hawk herself but barked alarm to the world. Ben that was with me and very close to the action was totally oblivious to activities of hawk not more than 50 feet from him. This is normal. Ben will need to have a couple altercations where he sees hawk and hears chicken responses to hawk in order to get his mind in the game for that threat. I will try to help with that personally next time a hawk is noted.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Last night pup invested heavily in joint defense of property with Lucy. Coyotes were out stirring up dogs in the area stimulating Lucy and Ben to go out barking as well. The barking alerts me but howling I think does a better job of repelling coyotes. Ben is starting to get into proper mind set.

8. scottcaddy

Good to hear his training is coming along nicely.
    Scott

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We got a good test today. Coydogs came through again about noon. Pup got all worked up and growled at female I could not see. I saw only male as he was a couple hundred yards past. Pup's activity called Lucy up from behind house and both proceeded to track Coydogs with their tails high and scent marking all the way. Based on males speed of departure Lucy must have gotten into him and won. Pup needs to let Lucy lead as he would get his butt kicked pretty quick. He is still going very well and showing reserve by not just charging into a situation.

10. scottcaddy

A thinking dog is not easy to come by, Congrats on finding Ben!
    Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by