English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
We are really seeing some nice changes now with pup being quick to join Lucy when she calls and he calls her too now. They currently approach disturbances as a pair while barking deeply with tails up much like the LGD's at work. This differs from the dynamic with Scoob where he would break off and sprint without barking to get behind threat and try to come behind it. Coyotes did not want any part of that and one of the foxes killed was likely done that way. Eventually a third dog will be acquired to restore the flanking maneuver as current arrangement has coyotes barking back while in hour woods. They are not pushing out as easily as I like but not causing trouble either. As long as coyotes near the much more problematic Red Fox will not come in. Pup has not even scented a Red Fox to my knowledge but he does not yet have the speed or teeth needed for job. Still all milk teeth and weighs a little less than coyote at about 30 lbs. He also has the rubbery look which serves him well when Lucy beats the crap out of him. He still likes that too.

Opossum came into yard this evening. Pup not close and Lucy could not line it out before it retreated to trailer court to northwest. IPM using a live-trap will be employed tomorrow night. Pup will not be allowed to tangle with it but will see you Lucy and I get excited. Then I will dispatch opossum and allow pup to investigate it closely, He will be allowed to eat it if so inclined.

It is a very pretty one.

No opossum after 5 nights. Lucy either caught him off property or it got a good scaring the other night. Opossums for me generally hard to teach about staying away.

Pup sitting in front yard listening to all sorts of critters. He barked back at Great-horned Owl to east that may be having a spat with one of it's neighbors. Neighbors flock to north was briefly harassed by something. Neighbor has been complaining about a family of Red Fox that targets his ducks usually in the day. All this occurs not more than 75 yards from my front door.

Thanks and same to you. I hope your AC works. Ours petered out yesterday and will not be fixed until Tuesday at earliest. Means we will sleep with windows opens so every sound dogs make I can hear. Have not done that since Scoob was a pup.

Pup getting up near 35 lbs to of similar weight to local coyotes. He still could not whip one but is getting the bluff part down.

He may have gotten into his first raccoon chase a couple nights ago although I likely slept through most. Wind from south likely gave critter additional time before dogs realized it was there.

Back
Top Bottom