English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Mini Meat

Mini Meat Chillin' With My Peeps

What is his color called? Love the young dog hairdo he is sporting.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's looking great!
    I love following this thread.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Breeder I think called it sable. I call it brindled.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Pup had first hostile encounter I know of with another dog. He and Lucy went off property to east in pursuit of voles like they often to do. Location is territory of neighbors male (neutered) Australian Shepherd.

Scoob used to operate around that dog with impunity and ruled when things got tough. That dog also targeted Lucy and even chased her back to our house on occasion. That would change when Scoob even looked at the Australian Shepherd as Lucy would attack and did nothing to fight fair. She hit from behind taking out the larger dogs legs and then Scoob would get all over him.

Today's event had Lucy retreating when challenged while pup did not know what was coming and was rolled by the attacker causing Ben to yelp and lay down. I looked at dog and Lucy whipped around going right at the larger dog that clearly had concern about me. The dog backed down as Lucy pushed him back. Ben got up and starting barking at dog walking shoulder to shoulder with Lucy as dog continued to walk slowly back into core of his territory.

For now the territory boundary is in flux but will firm up again as pup matures. By next spring we will again have firm control over boundary but Ben will not be able to stand up to that dog alone for another six months to a year even though he will be near fully grown.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

Good learning experience without blood sounds good so far.
    Scott

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    He took it well. Ben needs to pick fights a little better so he does not bite off more than he can chew.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah but ya need your butt kicked a time or two before learning that one.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We are getting some heavy Great-Horned Owl action. Three juveniles now confirmed that appear to be visited by an adult that hunts among pens even when I am nearby. Pup is getting into game of barking at owls but is doing so only at those near house. Ben does not go down to pens when owls can be found closer to home. Owls a a pain for so many reasons. Ben is barking at an owl right now. They simply look down at dogs until they figure out a better place to go.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Last night we had a major disturbance. One pup was out away from house probably to west in direction of pens while other was laying in the house. Some chased one of our domestic cats from field to east to front door and through dog door component. It was dark but I think the chaser came in as well where it came into contact with Lucy. There was a brief scuffle before chaser ran back out and pup started barking like crazy. Lucy and pup chased whatever it was to east with pup barking for an additional half hour. I seriously doubt what ever it was will be back in as it likely saw me as well. Critter was canid and looked about Ben's size.

Later Ben brought in a rotten egg and busted on floor stinking up entire house.

Overall last night was unusual. Weather change likely partly to blame.

10. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

Did Ben at least eat the egg?
    Scott

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by