English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
All fencing has been off for nearly a month and will remain off until chicks are on the ground. Long-term pups must be confident around fences so I want their first exposures to the fence to be controlled. They need to respect fence, yet feel comfortable operating in close proximity to it. It took too long training adults to work close around fence where Ben in particular is hesitant of getting in close to fence when needed. Lucy and Honey will run through fence suffering shocks and still keep composure. Getting zapped hurts, but it should not mean you take day off. Pups must learn the pain goes away fast. Will plug in lower powered fence charger when fence goes back on line. The down side is it will not be able to burn back weeds.

Looks like a pup will be starting employment as a highly trainable ESA. Will have to clarify shedding habits as dog will do a lot of indoor time. Will have about 1.5 acres of fenced yard and may have chickens down the road. I am emphasizing pups not yet chicken safe even though I can have them together under supervision. Got to to some additional stressing at time of pickup.

We had visitors out to look at pups. Disaster sums it up. Visitors arrived 20 minutes early so I could not wear puppies down before introduction. I wanted to meet in area between barn and house such as on deck, but meeting occurred at head of driveway next to road. Pups all began barking at visitors. Pups all were fighting. Pups were rolling around in mud. Pups jumped on visitors a lot. Pups chased for first time a car because we were right up on road. Pups found my alligator skull to be used for lecture today and chewed it up. Father of visitor social unit carried a stick used to aid visually impaired; pups went nuts when they saw that stick. They also got into my sweet potato stash and scattered potatoes all over the place. All and all a total mess.

Pups did briefly chase hens which ceased when I told them to stop. They are getting commands down well.

We had visitors out to look at pups. Disaster sums it up. Visitors arrived 20 minutes early so I could not wear puppies down before introduction. I wanted to meet in area between barn and house such as on deck, but meeting occurred at head of driveway next to road. Pups all began barking at visitors. Pups all were fighting. Pups were rolling around in mud. Pups jumped on visitors a lot. Pups chased for first time a car because we were right up on road. Pups found my alligator skull to be used for lecture today and chewed it up. Father of visitor social unit carried a stick used to aid visually impaired; pups went nuts when they saw that stick. They also got into my sweet potato stash and scattered potatoes all over the place. All and all a total mess.

Pups did briefly chase hens which ceased when I told them to stop. They are getting commands down well.
:barnie
And this is one of the reasons I hate visitors or to sell things

Back
Top Bottom