English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Cancer. Been battling it for a year now with a compromised immune system. She is in hospital one week per month for a while. This summer she would ideally be getting a stem cell transplant, but there is the Covid deal. We are running scared like you would not believe. Her hospital is in St. Louis, MO which has a stay at home order. It appears our home county may be worse, in part because many people think it is a hoax.

Living every day like it is the last.

Cancer. Been battling it for a year now with a compromised immune system. She is in hospital one week per month for a while. This summer she would ideally be getting a stem cell transplant, but there is the Covid deal. We are running scared like you would not believe. Her hospital is in St. Louis, MO which has a stay at home order. It appears our home county may be worse, in part because many people think it is a hoax.

:hugs

Horrifying...wishing you the best possible. :hugs

:hugs thinking of you and the kids

Two pups went to Indiana this morning. They will be on a 60 acre farm that produces mostly vegetables and free-range chickens with about 40 acres of pasture that host American Milking Devons for about 2 months of the year. Pups broke into handling and know when to come when called. Remaining two pups will not get intensive training.

Looks like last two pups to get a home together. Pups going out as pairs I did not expect. Last going out to someone that already has a young dog. The party is reputed to be very good with dogs and chickens. I could not do what needs to be done, but taker is retired so may have resourced needed. Horses also part of mix for these two.

Honey still provisioning pups. I brought home a couple dead trout. She took one to pups and left it there.

The other she consumed over the course of a night. The smaller fish was pushing 2 lbs that she gave to pups. She consumed the 3 lb fish.

IMG_2020-04-02_09-35-16[1].jpeg

Dogs just did some work on predator management side. I just cam back from barn with Ben while adult females were tracking something near barn. A rabbit came running between Ben and I so he gave chase down the hill almost to woods. Then two smallish dogs came about minute behind rabbit where they then started checking out chickens. Chickens gave soft alarm which Lucy took note of and began to approach in a sneaky manner. Once she got up to where she could see and smell interlopers she got into a silent run. She almost had strange dog in her mouth before it saw here and ran. Honey tried to cut it off as it went for fence. Ben was already even further up trying get dogs if the beat Honey. Mission was accomplished with those dogs getting a good scare. My dogs would have killed both if they caught. When pups get into the game this summer then even big dogs need to stay clear. The pups are showing very good qualities for guarding their turf. Adult teeth need to grow in first.

And yet more fun. We got home from hospital to hear all sorts of commotion going on in barn with pups barking and chickens squawking. A pup managed to get into American Dominique pen. Pup not ready yet without supervision. Bacon grease in table scraps is powerful motivator. Will have to block digging action.

Back
Top Bottom