Enhanced Protein Feed - Winter?

What they could do with "less" is "treats" .... Veggie scraps are ok but make sure they're not getting more than 10% of their feed. I've learned "treats" can/will off set the nutritional balance of their feed. My "treat" now is a handful of dry feed at close up ... I ferment so dry feed is different. They are going through a Jr Molt so have couple days a week will give them some scrambled eggs or tofu ... They do not like MealWorms :rolleyes:

@ChickNanny13

Definitely less than 10% and dropping given comments from BYCers. It's funny because the human instinct is vegetables are good; the need for a properly balanced feed mix also makes sense so I will follow that course.

I do give them scrambled eggs, will continue and make it a couple of times a week.

@Cindy in PA @GC-Raptor

Are your birds free range or restricted to a run?
My chickens stay in a large pen. 500 square feet for 2 Golden Comets, and 300 square feet for 5 Barred Rocks.
They are let out of their pens an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. They have over an acre of lawn and woods. They really enjoy rummaging through the fallen leaves this time of year. GC
20191103_153446.jpg
20191019_172203.jpg

@GC-Raptor I am tempted to say I wish I was one of your flock.

I suggest that at least part of the reason that your summer feed drops by half is they are getting better, more natural feed from your beautiful runs.

Regarding the leaves: I used a blower to fill my run space with leaves "to the rafters (3+ feet)". My birds absolutely love digging, flinging, scratching through it, it is now down by half but they line up at the pop door to get out in the morning.

Much appreciated.

Mine are not free range. Presently there are 10 pullets in a 375 square foot run. I never go over 12 birds. I too wish I had GC's pens!

Thank you for the reply.

Your runs are also spacious providing three times the recommended outdoor space. Do they also provide a natural setting or are they like "conventional" runs with few plants, grass, bugs, etc.?

@GC-Raptor I am tempted to say I wish I was one of your flock.

I suggest that at least part of the reason that your summer feed drops by half is they are getting better, more natural feed from your beautiful runs.

Regarding the leaves: I used a blower to fill my run space with leaves "to the rafters (3+ feet)". My birds absolutely love digging, flinging, scratching through it, it is now down by half but they line up at the pop door to get out in the morning.

Much appreciated.
Feed intake drop with confined birds do to temperature. Feed intake close to doubles when birds fighting cold. When it gets really warm feed intake can also be further reduced owing to heat stress.

Much, much larger runs needed to supply even that small number of birds with significant forage.

My chickens stay in a large pen. 500 square feet for 2 Golden Comets, and 300 square feet for 5 Barred Rocks.
They are let out of their pens an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. They have over an acre of lawn and woods. They really enjoy rummaging through the fallen leaves this time of year. GC View attachment 1957501 View attachment 1957502
Love the single breed groups.:)

Back
Top Bottom