Enhanced Protein Feed - Winter?

To be clear: are you saying that an acre of grassed and forested space will not impact the amount of supplied feed needed during the summer period for 7 birds?
Run referenced is Cindy in PA's 375 square foot run. If you were to press me, then I will say one acre of woods will not provide more than a small percentage of what 7 adult hens in lay require during the summer. Would be pretty good for a bird or two. If doubts, I will invite you down to see what I am looking at.

Run referenced is Cindy in PA's 375 square foot run. If you were to press me, then I will say one acre of woods will not provide more than a small percentage of what 7 adult hens in lay require during the summer. Would be pretty good for a bird or two. If doubts, I will invite you down to see what I am looking at.
I've found similar to centrarchid that an acre per group in my case is what they will 'naturally use. I also agree that if the chickens are solely dependent on forage then an acre per group may not be enough. A lot depends on what grows in that acre.

@Shadrach @centrarchid Thank you both

I suggest that "a small percentage" vs "acre per group [size of group?] in my case is what they will 'naturally use" is somewhat contradictory but no matter.

I will take from the comments above that natural forage from a largish space will impact the amount of feed one must otherwise supply.

I never thought or intended to suggest that I could let the ladies run free and not have to also provide additional nutrition. Also understand that overall health may be negatively impacted by such a varied and "uncontrolled" feeding program so due diligence and observation is required.

Last edited:
Also understand that overall health may be negatively impacted by such a varied and "uncontrolled" feeding program so due diligence and observation is required.
One might be tempted to believe this going by the most often sited forum advice.
You can come and tell my eight and nine year olds this.
Ime the opposite is true. Much like the dietary advice given to humans, a varied diet, and proper exercise does statistically reap benefits. A commercial feed that has the basic ingredients to ensure the chicken lives and produces the maximum number of eggs may not qualify as 'varied'.

@Shadrach @centrarchid I never thought or intended to suggest that I could let the ladies run free and not have to also provide additional nutrition. Also understand that overall health may be negatively impacted by such a varied and "uncontrolled" feeding program so due diligence and observation is required.

I am doing exactly that with about 10 of my birds. Most of the year they do very well. Exception is when snow is deep. To get a handle on lower bounds with respect to what free-range forages can offer, you have to test limits. Otherwise stay safe at home providing a complete diet free-choice.

You and I need to compete in terms of fowl quality. You will rethink the limitations of free-range forages. I do take into account your location is not a good one for using forages much of the year.

@Shadrach Sage advice.

I am new to this and anxious to get the best inputs that I can; however also believe that common sense should never be abandoned.

I have a wide range of predators about and am cautious about letting my flock free range but I have a couple of acres of treed property and come Spring may "open the gates" to experiment. In the meantime winter is here and I have to deal with what I have; will expand the run with another ~200 square feet of covered space as I can.

Appreciated!

...You and I need to compete in terms of fowl quality. You will rethink the limitations of free-range forages. I do take into account your location is not a good one for using forages much of the year.

I would prefer to avoid a competition that I would probably lose. Best to seek advice from a wide range and do what "makes sense" and is within my context/ability. Please note my last reply to shadrach. Free range makes perfect sense to me.

My caution is due to the abundance of predators in my area (very rural with few permanent residents). I do have a neighbour who opens their coop door through the summer, I intend to ask their experience with free range and bird loss as a result.

I would prefer to avoid a competition that I would probably lose. Best to seek advice from a wide range and do what "makes sense" and is within my context/ability. Please note my last reply to shadrach. Free range makes perfect sense to me.

My caution is due to the abundance of predators in my area (very rural with few permanent residents). I do have a neighbour who opens their coop door through the summer, I intend to ask their experience with free range and bird loss as a result.
I am not advocating free-range keeping for you. Rather emphasizing free-range foraging has does have limits and benefits that most are not familiar with these days.

My birds have a varied free range environment here; under spruces, horse pasture, weedy areas, intermittently mowed areas, and under fruit trees. They wander, at most, over about six acres around their coop,; maybe 500 ft. from the coop at most, and never far from tree or shrub cover. After each generation sees a hawk attack, those 'wide open spaces' are much less attractive to them!
I don't have game breeds, who would likely be braver, lay fewer eggs per year, and so have lower nutritional needs overall.
Now that we have six or eight inches of snow on the ground, nobody wants to go out anyway! They will go to the horse's round bale, and gradually to the barn, in a few days, but that first snowfall discourages them a lot!
During warmer weather, they do eat less Flock Raiser, getting something from foraging, but never will they ignore those feeders!
Mary

My birds have a varied free range environment here; under spruces, horse pasture, weedy areas, intermittently mowed areas, and under fruit trees. They wander, at most, over about six acres around their coop,; maybe 500 ft. from the coop at most, and never far from tree or shrub cover. After each generation sees a hawk attack, those 'wide open spaces' are much less attractive to them!
I don't have game breeds, who would likely be braver, lay fewer eggs per year, and so have lower nutritional needs overall.
Now that we have six or eight inches of snow on the ground, nobody wants to go out anyway! They will go to the horse's round bale, and gradually to the barn, in a few days, but that first snowfall discourages them a lot!
During warmer weather, they do eat less Flock Raiser, getting something from foraging, but never will they ignore those feeders!
Mary
I have game and dual purpose breed.

Back
Top Bottom