Enlarged crop on one side, is this normal? (pic included)

Any update on the baby??
fl.gif

Thank you for asking. I have got some great advice from Anianna, ChickensAreSweet, and BlueMyst- thank you so much! She has more energy today, running around now like her hatchlings, and eating and drinking more so I am counting that as improvement. I tried and I can not detect foul smelling breath. I mixed up some gro-gel plus b which she didn't seem interested in so I put her and the gro-gel in the brooder and the other chicks went crazy on it and then she was interested. It was kind of funny to watch because since she is so much smaller, she got more than her fair share because she can get underneath her hatchlings now and she wasn't backing down from anyone else. Whatever it takes, eh?

I am going to try to ACV in the morning if she her crop is still large. Also planning on getting up real early since they tend to be up at 4:00 or so to start eating and want to check her then to see if there is a change in her her crop.

Quote:
I don't know why folks feel they need to feed chicks egg yolks or anything other than basic feed. They don't need it. You basic starter has tiny grit in it but may not be enough to help things like eggs and lettuce and bread work through their system. To me it's just not worth the risk of a crop problem.

Also chickens will over eat if you let them. Crops can become over stretched as written about in this months Practical poultry magazine. It is rare though and not curable.

Whatever the problem with the chick I do hope it's not serious.

Rancher

A great update - I think this little girl is going to make it after all. It's been really touch and go with her and last night her crop was at it's worst and and this morning her crop was at it's best in weeks. She voided a good four inches of what appeared to be partially digested straw. I had tried a little of everything suggested and believe consistently messaging her crop, and gently forcing that nutrition through, with patience helped her turn the corner. The size difference vs. her hatchlings has become more pronounced with each passing day but now that her plumbing is working she just might have a fighting chance. All's well that ends well, eh?

Thank you again for all your helpful insight and support. BYC'ers ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom