Enormous egg

DiDiMyDarlin

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Rochester MINNESOTA
My White Cochin laid this enormous egg. It is pictured next to a large egg from another hen. This has only happened in my flock, one other time and the hen (a Buff) died 3 days later. Should I be concerned for my hen or is there anything I should be watching for? I would hate to lose my sweet girl.
I have not openned the egg yet, but expect I may find a double yolk.

Attachments

• 20200218_105428.jpg
    20200218_105428.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 10
My White Cochin laid this enormous egg. It is pictured next to a large egg from another hen. This has only happened in my flock, one other time and the hen (a Buff) died 3 days later. Should I be concerned for my hen or is there anything I should be watching for? I would hate to lose my sweet girl.
I have not openned the egg yet, but expect I may find a double yolk.
I would expect a double yolk too.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Buff. It may have been coincidental that she died 3 days after she laid a large egg. Without further investigation (necropsy) it would be hard to know if the 2 were related or not.

I don't know of anything you can do for your White Cochin - if she's eating/drinking/active and acting normal, just enjoy her. If she were to get into troubles with laying an egg such as egg binding - you would likely see her standing upright, tail down, possibly waddling or standing like a penguin. She may be standoffish (keeping to herself), likely you won't see her eating or drinking either.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Buff. It may have been coincidental that she died 3 days after she laid a large egg. Without further investigation (necropsy) it would be hard to know if the 2 were related or not.

I don't know of anything you can do for your White Cochin - if she's eating/drinking/active and acting normal, just enjoy her. If she were to get into troubles with laying an egg such as egg binding - you would likely see her standing upright, tail down, possibly waddling or standing like a penguin. She may be standoffish (keeping to herself), likely you won't see her eating or drinking either.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. She seems to be just fine, she is active, eatting and drinking, tail not down. I may have to guess it is just a random giant egg.

Hope that helps.
Yep, large double yolk. 3 days later, laid another giant but not a double yolk. Eggs are back to regular size and she acts fine and healthy. I know she is the layer as she is the only hen I have that lays white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom