Enough Space??

cfbandme

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
N. Central Iowa
My husband and I are converting a large space in our barn into our backyard coop. I've read a lot of articles about space per chicken - and I'd like feedback and thoughts on housing 15 RIR chickens in a (roughly) 20'x20' space with a separate room for nesting boxes. The main goal of the coop will be for sleeping and nesting, and keeping the girls out of rain or snow. We are building an 8'x15' outdoor run for them also. I just don't want to confine them with too little space. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you! I read your thread regarding personal space and I think I feel better about not having my chickens too confined or restricted. Never having raised chickens I am flying a little blind until they are actually here and living in their space.

Thank you! I read your thread regarding personal space and I think I feel better about not having my chickens too confined or restricted. Never having raised chickens I am flying a little blind until they are actually here and living in their space.

I am new as well. I have mine in a secured run with an elevated coop. I have consistently read recommendations of 10 - 20 sq ft per bird. I am at about 10 ft2 per bird now, and I can tell you they just look a little cramped to me. Even without your run, the space is 400 ft2, so about 26 ft2/bird, which I think is plenty.

Welcome to BYC!
and I'd like feedback and thoughts on housing 15 RIR chickens in a (roughly) 20'x20' space with a separate room for nesting boxes......We are building an 8'x15' outdoor run for them also. .
20' x 20' coop(enclosed building)? plus the 8'x15' outdoor run?
Sounds like great space!
Much can depend on your climate, if you could add your to your profile it would be most helpful.
I need lots of coop space because my run is not weather protected,
and it can get mighty crowded during those days long winter storms.
Cabin Coop Fever is real, and it an get ugly.

The 20’x20’ coop space is enclosed, yes. It’s actually a sectioned off portion of a larger barn. Concrete on half of the space where I plan on putting the feeder & waterers, etc. the other half of the open space has concrete/sand/lime where a 45 degree angle roost will go. The nesting box area is roughly 4’x8’ and separate from both of the other areas. All with windows and excellent ventilation.

We live in N. Central IA and our winters can get downright frigid - but I think they should do very well in the space.

I’ve been reading a lot of articles on BYC and I’m fairly certain the space should be fine once I’ve finished.

The 20’x20’ coop space is enclosed, yes. It’s actually a sectioned off portion of a larger barn. Concrete on half of the space where I plan on putting the feeder & waterers, etc. the other half of the open space has concrete/sand/lime where a 45 degree angle roost will go. The nesting box area is roughly 4’x8’ and separate from both of the other areas. All with windows and excellent ventilation.

We live in N. Central IA and our winters can get downright frigid - but I think they should do very well in the space.

I’ve been reading a lot of articles on BYC and I’m fairly certain the space should be fine once I’ve finished.

:thumbsup

Thank you all for your input!! Our chicks will be here the week of May 14th ... I’ll post photos of our finished coop and the new babes as we start of journey of backyard chicken keeping!

Back
Top Bottom