Entering my Buff Orpington into the fair... does she have a chance?

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
I'm going to enter my buff Orpington into the pullet class. I think her shape is beautiful, but I want more professional opinions. What do you all think? Could she win ?

I'm certainly no expert but I'd say that's a beautiful bird. Good luck and let us know how you do!

If you're going to a county fair, this bird should do okay. But, she does have some faults that will probably prevent her from winning a lot.

• Size. She looks to be a hatchery quality Buff Orpington. True Orpingtons bred to the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection are massive birds. She doesn't have the width or depth of a true show quality Orpington. I especially notice that the depth of her head is lacking.
  • Condition. I notice that she's missing her main tail feathers, which is making her appear tailess. Depending on when the county fair is, this could be resolved by then.
  • Color. Color isn't too bad, but some Orpingtons have even darker, more rich buff coloring.

In conclusion, if you're showing at a county fair, she's fine. But, if you were to take her to a larger poultry show or show her against some competition from purebred, show-quality birds, she wouldn't do very well.

No matter how she places, remember to have fun at the show! Good luck!

Thank you for your input! I have actually decided to enter her in next years county fair. She is only about 14 weeks, so I think she should be still filling out. As for her tail feathers, yeah. My nasty hens picked them out :p

Back
Top Bottom