Entire flock bullying one hen (and feather plucking?)

Oct 14, 2021
It seems every day with my flock there's a new problem. This one is a really weird case.

So recently we had bad snowy weather and I was unable to let the chickens out for a couple days. I didn't realize they were low on food and so a couple mornings in a row they were starving and I had to give them mainly scratch and warm mash to help satisfy them while we were getting their regular food (I'm mentioning this because I believe this might have started the whole fiasco).

After that, I went in the coop one morning and found a huge pile of feathers on the floor under one part of the roosts. The white leghorn, the smallest of the group, looked like she had about a third of her feathers plucked out (not just plucked but like taken COMPLETELY out of her, including the shaft). Poor thing is now shivering from the cold because she never had that many feathers to begin with. Everyone else is full of feathers and warm. I couldn't figure out whether she had lost them in stress or plucked them out herself because before then she had always gotten along beautifully with the flock. All of them were almost equals and sisters and never bullied each other at all.

After that incident, I noticed that the entire flock, not just one hen, are trying to starve her and won't even let her drink. They chase her away from the food and water every time they notice her going to it. They don't seem to relentlessly chase or peck her, but she seems absolutely terrified and is starting to lose weight. I started keeping them away from her in the mornings to let her eat and drink a bit. She just sits on the lowest roost all day every day other than when she tries to sneak food and water. Her feathers don't seem to be growing back yet either.

I have no idea why they started doing this to her. I think it might be a number of factors. They have been suffering from leg mites and that's probably irritating them (I'm working on treating them at the moment), have been shut up in the coop the vast majority of the year so far (even when I open it most of the time they refuse to come out), and then there were those couple days of being hungry.

The question is, what on earth do I do? I'm afraid that separating my leghorn won't solve the problem. Maybe I should to help her grow back her feathers and have food and water to herself? It's hard when it's the whole flock equally treating her the same way. And it's a bit heartbreaking because before this they all treated each other equally. I never saw this coming.

NOTE: I should add that their coop is huge for seven hens, plenty of room to roam around in while staying indoors during winter. I have been giving them some entertainment and making sure they have plenty of feed available at all times.

Any advice would be appreciated (NOT culling).

After that incident, I noticed that the entire flock, not just one hen, are trying to starve her and won't even let her drink. They chase her away from the food and water every time they notice her going to it. They don't seem to relentlessly chase or peck her, but she seems absolutely terrified and is starting to lose weight. I started keeping them away from her in the mornings to let her eat and drink a bit. She just sits on the lowest roost all day every day other than when she tries to sneak food and water. Her feathers don't seem to be growing back yet either.
To help avoid this in future, you might try having several sources of food and water. But the way things are right now, I don't think that would be enough to help this particular hen.

NOTE: I should add that their coop is huge for seven hens, plenty of room to roam around in while staying indoors during winter. I have been giving them some entertainment and making sure they have plenty of feed available at all times.

What are the dimensions? Different people have different ideas about what is a "huge" coop, so giving actual measurements can help everyone understand how big it really is.

The question is, what on earth do I do? I'm afraid that separating my leghorn won't solve the problem. Maybe I should to help her grow back her feathers and have food and water to herself? It's hard when it's the whole flock equally treating her the same way. And it's a bit heartbreaking because before this they all treated each other equally. I never saw this coming.

Maybe you could put a wire dog crate inside the coop, with this pullet inside the crate. Make sure the other chickens cannot reach in to peck her, and make sure she always has plenty of food and water.

This would let her eat, drink, and grow feathers in safety. But she would not be a total stranger to the other hens, and might even start to regain some confidence as she is able to see them without being attacked.

That idea is inspired by this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Any advice would be appreciated (NOT culling).

That certainly would be a fast way to "solve" the matter, but if you don't want to, then I think you need to make sure this hen is safe while she heals, and then work out how to have her rejoin the flock safely.

To help avoid this in future, you might try having several sources of food and water. But the way things are right now, I don't think that would be enough to help this particular hen.

What are the dimensions? Different people have different ideas about what is a "huge" coop, so giving actual measurements can help everyone understand how big it really is.

Maybe you could put a wire dog crate inside the coop, with this pullet inside the crate. Make sure the other chickens cannot reach in to peck her, and make sure she always has plenty of food and water.

This would let her eat, drink, and grow feathers in safety. But she would not be a total stranger to the other hens, and might even start to regain some confidence as she is able to see them without being attacked.

That idea is inspired by this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

That certainly would be a fast way to "solve" the matter, but if you don't want to, then I think you need to make sure this hen is safe while she heals, and then work out how to have her rejoin the flock safely.
I may try and do that.
The dimensions are roughly 13' x 9'. I guess it's not "huge" but big enough for seven chickens, at least I believe it is.

I may try and do that.
I hope she recovers soon!

The dimensions are roughly 13' x 9'. I guess it's not "huge" but big enough for seven chickens, at least I believe it is.
Yes, I agree that should be big enough for seven chickens.

If it is mostly open inside, you might try adding some clutter so they can get away from each other (visually out of sight), as well as having it be more interesting.

This thread has ideas about clutter in the run, but similar ideas can also work inside a coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I hope she recovers soon!

Yes, I agree that should be big enough for seven chickens.

If it is mostly open inside, you might try adding some clutter so they can get away from each other (visually out of sight), as well as having it be more interesting.

This thread has ideas about clutter in the run, but similar ideas can also work inside a coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Thank you for the advice and articles! I never even thought of giving them places to hide from the others.

Back
Top Bottom