ENTIRE flock of GLW... Wiped out overnight! UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FiascoFarmer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Went out this morning to find our entire flock of GLW (except one that could flew pretty good) gone! [​IMG] The flock was accidentally left unguarded [​IMG] last night. There are only a couple small piles of feathers around! Other than that it's as if they were never there! [​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have done this based on the evidence?[​IMG]

- 25 bird GONE!
    - 2 little clumps of feathers
    - a hole about 12 inches tall in the fence on the far side of the run (but it doesn't look like it had been gone through)
    - no obvious signs of struggle
    - no footprints that I could find

Known predators in the area:
    - Foxes
    - Hawks
    - Skunks
    - Fisher Cats
    - Bobcats
    - Raccoons

Any help would be appreciated! [​IMG] Thanks

So definitely FOXES!!! And even crazier a skunk at the same time!!! Skunk is dead, Foxes to follow!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Have no clue just wanted to say how sorry I was!! [​IMG]

3. ByeByeBlackBird

ByeByeBlackBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    you sure they arent hiding due to a predator/s getting just one bird, or a few? Id look ANYWHERE they can hide! I hope you didnt lose ALL of your birds!

4. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Quote:Yeah. We scoured the whole property and all our neighbors. NOTHING!! [​IMG]

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:x2 I'd look everywhere. With that many gone some could be hiding. Good luck. I hope you find some of them. So sorry.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Just saw your last post. I don't know what could have taken that many and only left a few feathers. Maybe a pack of coyotes or foxes.[​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    foxe bobcat coyote for that many completely gone if bobcats they will carry a short distance and half way bury it then come back later

8. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I am so sorry for you. I lost all my chicks from this years hatchings, but over the course of two days had 7 show back up. I have no idea where they were but was glad to have them. I know how it feels I lost probably 50 or so chicks and don't know what got them but I had bodies so there is hope! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! That's devastating. No chance they were taken by a two-legged thief, is there? Seems like there would be more signs of carnage since 25 are gone. I'm sorry for your loss.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Coyote, fox, bobcat-- even though you may have not seen them, you do have coyotes in NH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by