Epic search for real Delawares

@Katonk i have an update for you as well. I am going to cull my Delaware rooster pretty soon due to him starting to be a concern around my kids. He has attacked them a couple times already. I also don’t like the way he is aggressive with some of the hens. Not my best rooster that I have had for sure. I really wanted it to work out with him being a Delaware but it doesn’t look like that will be the case.

Hey the more I think about it the more I realize my delaware is a cautious fellow himself. He's friendly and never attacks but he's not quick to say hello to me. I don't really treat them like pets so snuggles are not a priority for me but he's also very good with the flock. Not a bully even though he's grown some ugly looking Spurs.
I guess that's the breed. He's still my favorite though as all those points make him a treasure in my eyes. Just wish like heck he wasn't so dang small! If you haven't already can you do me a solid and let's get serious about the shipping of fertile eggs- I love the breed and really want to try and grow up my flock.

The original Whitmore line is fairly utility. That line is now owned and worked on by Deer Run Farm. They’re working on more utility with every breeding. Realllllly nice people. Ship eggs year round, they’re only shipping birds the next four weeks until spring.

Just hit the 16 week mark with my Delawares from Deer Run Farm yesterday. All my roos were getting close to 6# (~5# 14oz avg) with two a few ounces over 6#.
Really liked the availability of hatching eggs which is why we went with Deer Run, but next year I may try Dawnridge since I'm here in CA. I think USPS was too iffy this year for eggs--success was low for the amount of eggs we ordered.
Will also be hatching our own from our best boys and girls to see if we can work on improvements.

Just hit the 16 week mark with my Delawares from Deer Run Farm yesterday. All my roos were getting close to 6# (~5# 14oz avg) with two a few ounces over 6#.
Really liked the availability of hatching eggs which is why we went with Deer Run, but next year I may try Dawnridge since I'm here in CA. I think USPS was too iffy this year for eggs--success was low for the amount of eggs we ordered.
Will also be hatching our own from our best boys and girls to see if we can work on improvements.
awesome update!!!!

Back
Top Bottom