er, help? My mama hen is out free ranging.. trouble is..

Oh i'm sorry that's awful.

Spot is a real sweety, he was actually nesting with her at night I am over 90 some-odd % sure he was in with her when it hatched lol I was nervous about getting them back into the barn but by 8 she was back into her area with it, so we penned it back up in the barn for safety sake.

It was keeping very close, she seems to be a very attentive mum which was my worry as this is her first. The only issue we had last night was Lilly! she chased dusty and Junior out of the barn at one point she is a bit of a crank these days
roll.png
I have one that is very cranky when she comes out to eat and swim, Boy and they say women are hard to live with.
hmm.png

I have one that is very cranky when she comes out to eat and swim, Boy and they say women are hard to live with.
hmm.png

LOL yeah well if she keeps sitting on Lilac's nest instead of her own she'll be even more so... her eggs are due to hatch before the month ends... so why she wants Lilacs 14+ eggs due in June is beyond me
roll.png
It's odd she talks to the baby a lot but perhaps it's the mum dusty she was after ... ?

LOL yeah well if she keeps sitting on Lilac's nest instead of her own she'll be even more so... her eggs are due to hatch before the month ends... so why she wants Lilacs 14+ eggs due in June is beyond me
roll.png
It's odd she talks to the baby a lot but perhaps it's the mum dusty she was after ... ?
Probably the mum, I've noticed some of my female Muscovy are very tolerant of the new ducklings letting them even come close, where a few of the others will pop it if they get within popping distance, the ones more tolerant? the one mama who just hatched 5 weeks ago and another of my ducks who hatched ducklings 7 yrs ago, the rest want no part of the ducklings. Your broody is feeling motherly towards the duckling is all I can get out of these reactions.

Probably the mum, I've noticed some of my female Muscovy are very tolerant of the new ducklings letting them even come close, where a few of the others will pop it if they get within popping distance, the ones more tolerant? the one mama who just hatched 5 weeks ago and another of my ducks who hatched ducklings 7 yrs ago, the rest want no part of the ducklings. Your broody is feeling motherly towards the duckling is all I can get out of these reactions.

Likely, she does seem fascinated with the concept of babies.. all of these hens are the ones we brought in together from a breeder so they know each other very well, hopefully it'll all settle down shortly.. they are stressing me out!
barnie.gif
lol.png

Likely, she does seem fascinated with the concept of babies.. all of these hens are the ones we brought in together from a breeder so they know each other very well, hopefully it'll all settle down shortly.. they are stressing me out!
barnie.gif
lol.png
I know what you mean, I was watching my newest mama Ruthie yesterday she is here there and everywhere so fast poor little week old ducklings just finally stays in one place and lets her come to her instead of trying to keep up. But isn't it adorable when Mama does show up the little duckling start trilling to her mama like she hasn't seen her in days. Just makes my heart melt.
love.gif

I know what you mean, I was watching my newest mama Ruthie yesterday she is here there and everywhere so fast poor little week old ducklings just finally stays in one place and lets her come to her instead of trying to keep up. But isn't it adorable when Mama does show up the little duckling start trilling to her mama like she hasn't seen her in days. Just makes my heart melt.
love.gif

Junior is beyond quick but obviously isn't a week old, dusty seemed content with staying in the barn at that point. They carry on quite the conversations... so much so it even gets the other birds interested mainly the drakes, they are quite curious about this little newcomer... I am still wary but mum has had enough so i will try again today.. these silly birds are aging me with the stress lol

Junior is beyond quick but obviously isn't a week old, dusty seemed content with staying in the barn at that point. They carry on quite the conversations... so much so it even gets the other birds interested mainly the drakes, they are quite curious about this little newcomer... I am still wary but mum has had enough so i will try again today.. these silly birds are aging me with the stress lol
lau.gif
I know we probably fret more than we need to but I just can't help it.

Well so far so good this morning, she is under the huge cedars and spot(oldest drake) is there too.. with a distance but still... the one younger black drake i noticed pecked at it but then left.. of coarse they 'saw' i was watching while out with the horses lol

I will continue to check but hopefully it'll work out, mama is so not interested in being penned and baby is foraging like a champ... perhaps i'll attempt some pics.. she is pretty huffy so baby takes cover pretty quickly which i know is good but makes for awful pictures
tongue2.gif

Bad pic but the idea is still there...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom